tioT

• 2 replies

old34

tioT
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
tioT - the internet of Things.

the next big Thing
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/30/the-company-that-helps-power-mark-zuckerbergs-jarvis-and-the-homes-of-the-1.html?__source=yahoo%7Cfinance%7Cheadline%7Cheadline%7Cstory&par=yahoo&doc=104188383&yptr=yahoo

From the article: "Hey, Mark. Can Jarvis secretly order a hamburger and have it delivered to the back door? Asking for a friend...," Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates commented on Zuckerberg's Facebook page.

China's already there. Don't have to talk to my refrigerator yet to do  this, but McDonald China's app delivers to my door in 20 minutes. If I prefer Burger King, my Dianping app gets it here in 30 minutes. I pay(depending on the app) with either WeChat or Alipay so no cash needed when they deliver. Not a feature that Bill might appreciate, but convenient for us China chavs.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Re: tioT
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
Is CNBC Technology news usually good? Because that article is weird. For one thing, the Internet of Things has been in the news 201[6] mostly for being so eminently hackable. Internet connected things that aren't actively policed by their users get to have known properties, like baked-in passwords that can't be changed or default passwords that never are changed, and - BAM! - welcome to the wonderful world of botnets. The Mirai botnet is 201[6]'s most famous IoT's contribution. And do the 1% not watch Mr Robot? I guess not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:01:13 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

old34

Re: tioT
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »

From the article: "Hey, Mark. Can Jarvis secretly order a hamburger and have it delivered to the back door? Asking for a friend...," Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates commented on Zuckerberg's Facebook page.

Ordered  Michelin 2 star special BBQ Pineapple Bacon burger currently on offer at McD-China. At my door within 20 minutes. In fact got an email from McD when the delivery guy left the store. 12 minutes later he was at my door. Didn't hear him knock, my air purifier is on high and rather noisy. So he called me from the door. "open the door" he said IN ENGLISH. When I opened the door he greeted me by my ENGLISH name even though my name on the order is in Chinese-he knew the English equivalent of my Chinese name. He handed me my order unsaid, IN ENGLISH, "Happy New Year". Either McD-China is upping their game, or  college graduates are turning to McDs for delivery boy work due to the bleak jobs outlook for recent graduates. Either way, it was a nice start to the New Year's weekend. And the burger was actually pretty good and a nice, but pricy change to McDs usual offerings.

https://www.4008-517-517.cn/cn/home.html?locale=en
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.