Retirement

• 64 replies
Re: Retirement
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
Searching "employment sihanoukville" doesn't immediately come up "teach English!!!" so there's a point in the city's favour.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
Next search, after looking at apartment options, is bicycles.... if someone's selling middle-of-the-road MTBs there too, well then goddammit I might just go there now

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Here's an odd question: I wonder how the healthcare rates relative to China?   ahahahahah

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
Searching "employment sihanoukville" doesn't immediately come up "teach English!!!" so there's a point in the city's favour.

True! There are so many weirdos teaching English in Asia, you want to find a place to retire where they don't make up any significant percentage of the expat community.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
Turns out...

Thailand bribery rate is worse than Myanmar and Cambodia: survey

And that's by how much, you ask.

1%

And all three are about 15% higher than China.  aoaoaoaoao

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 05:02:45 PM »
Yeah... and in Thailand a uniform is just a license to practice extortion with impunity. The Immigration supervisor at HKT extorted 2000 baht from me last time I was there. The police don't do anything... except collect 'tea money' at roadblocks (and with the military junta in power, there are roadblocks everywhere now).

If you're Thai 'Hi-So' (high society) you can drive drunk, kill nine people and 'get off' by becoming a monk for a week. If you're a tourist caught feeding the fish, you'll have bail set a 100,000 baht before your tried and found guilty. Koh Tao has become known as "Death Island"... especially for attractive, young, blonde, females. Plus, the lese-majeste laws are the strictest in the world (and the penalties Draconian) - you can't say anything about the new king being a spoiled, stoned, 'rich kid' gangster who'd rather be banging supermodels in Europe (unless you want to spend 30 years in the 'Bangkok Hilton').
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
So I wonder what awaits the unwary traveler in Cambodia.

I do wonder too what it'll be like as an old man living "outside", no longer sheltered by a (pigeon-infested but otherwise relatively pleasant) university campus.

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 12:00:31 AM »
I wish to influence my environment. In China, with the condition I have acquired for myself, the most I can muster is continual complaint. Pigeons, dogs, the endless dumbfuckery of neighbours. Frustration at this kind of condition is getting worse as I age. Ideally in retirement all of this shall fall away. In reality, I going to age really badly, and I think all of these countries just do need a younger man's strength.

Bleh.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
...the endless dumbfuckery of neighbours.

That (and 'street noise') are my biggest worries.

The worst was an apartment I had in Korea - hookers, drunks, and the facts: the stairwell/hallways were a marble-tiled 'echo chambers' on the other side of the wall next to my bed (amplifying every clomping, high-heeled footstep to make it seem like they were literally in the room); and every idiot would go into the hallway to 'scream talk' on their phone, made it Hell. 
asasasasas

My uni campus faculty apartment in China is a comparative haven of tranquility. Part of that is just luck - one floor down there's a guy who leaves his door wide open all the time and listens to 'Beijing Opera' (worse than a cat being tortured)/Chinese pop at 120 dB. Apart from the facts: sometimes the upstairs kid(s) start bouncing something on their floor that sounds like its coming through my ceiling... and once a month or so the same people tend to rearrange their furniture at 3:00 AM; and every night at dusk it sounds as though WW3 has started as the Chinese celebrate whatever day of the week it is... and their invention of gunpowder (but that's in the far distance and usually only lasts five or so minutes); and NOBODY in Asia (apart from the odd caucasian) is capable of entering or exiting their apartment without slamming the metal door, it's quiet.
bjbjbjbjbj

I definitely think it's wise, if possible, to rent in the building/neighbourhood before buying. Of course, their are no guarantees (anywhere in the world) because neighbours change.
llllllllll

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 02:49:28 PM »
I wish to influence my environment. In China, with the condition I have acquired for myself, the most I can muster is continual complaint. Pigeons, dogs, the endless dumbfuckery of neighbours. Frustration at this kind of condition is getting worse as I age. Ideally in retirement all of this shall fall away. In reality, I going to age really badly, and I think all of these countries just do need a younger man's strength.

Bleh.

All of us clones here at Lunatic Retirement Estates have heard your complaints.  We've searched the world and have finally found you a place to retire which meets all of your needs:

1.  No dogs.
2.  No pigeons.
3.  No neighbors.

It's a beautiful villa, just 80 km from McMurdo station.  We'll ask the penguins to try to not make too much noise. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

^;;^

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
There is a provision in the lease agreement against digging up large objects buried deep in the ice.  Tenants are also prohibited from bringing back ice blocks containing any unusual frozen organic material.  Also, the harboring of stray sled dogs being pursued by gunmen in a helicopter is strictly forbidden.
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 10:33:35 PM »
It's a beautiful villa, just 80 km from McMurdo station.  We'll ask the penguins to try to not make too much noise. ahahahahah

That's no good. I've been to Antarctica (twice), and can tell you with absolute certainty penguins are noisy, if fact raucous - so much so, CP will actually appreciate pigeons - and they STINK!

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 11:36:21 PM »

That's no good. I've been to Antarctica (twice), and can tell you with absolute certainty penguins are noisy, if fact raucous - so much so, CP will actually appreciate pigeons - and they STINK!

Pay no attention to the person who undoubtedly plans to move you into a house filled with pigeons and yappy dogs.  Penguins are fastidiously clean, very quiet, and fully respect the privacy of those who wish to be left alone.  Antarctica is the perfect place for a misanthrope who wants to get away from dogs and pigeons.
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 03:41:08 AM »
Here's the thing...

Antarctica is too cold bpbpbpbpbp