TEFL course school recommendations in eastern China? (Suzhou, Xi'an, Dalian)

• 35 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
DS is right as usual...don't discount the experience you have!

I would recommend Chiang Mai over Boland, for sure, for all those who want to pursue a TEFL cert in Suzhou. I don't know enough about the others to rate one over the other.

However, at least the Chiang Mai one has some affiliation, albeit probably tenuous, with an actual institution of higher learning. As far as I know the others are probably just some guy with a domain name, a marketing budget, and a big roll of certificate forms.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money and time on an online TEFL cert. I'm not too sure even the real-time ones are worth it, much less the online ones.
In general, as far as getting a job goes, a cert MIGHT be worth it if you don't have a college degree and need a pretty paper to wave before the eyes of the school managers. Here it doesn't matter much which cert you have or where it comes from...just shop price. Otherwise, the effect of a cert on your China job hunt is generally VASTLY over-rated...especially by the companies who provide certs in the first place.
Again, the most valid reason to get a cert is to improve your own confidence, learn some techniques and methodologies...generally make yourself a better teacher. An online cert can't do this very effectively; you're talking a real-time program or nothing.

I've never been disqualified from a job because I don't have a certificate. I do have multiple degrees and lots of experience, but even the jobs that specify degree, experience, AND certification have all given me an audience. When I volunteer that I don't have a cert, the managers invariably chuckle and say, "Don't worry about it."

Be sure and not confuse a "TEFL certificate" with a "teaching certificate". The former are often issued by places like "Jim Bob's Bait Shop and TEFL Certificate Emporium" and don't really count for all that much. The latter are issued by a state or provincial government body and can get you a real job as a real teacher...once you've completed the required college hours and more.
The REALLY top jobs will impatiently wave away the former and insist on the latter.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Yes, adegree trumps a TEFL cert.  But, Limu, get some clasroom practice if you can, even if it's just volunteering.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

But, Limu, get some clasroom practice if you can, even if it's just volunteering.

Also, the volunteering will help you to decide whether or not a classroom is really the place for you.

Good Luck!! Happy Hunting!!
Moderation....in most things...

Thanks guys. I have a BS in MIS from an American university and a major IT certification (prob means nothing in the ESL field though) so the TESL cert would be the icing on the cake.
The things we touch have no permanence.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
It would be icing on a cake that already has plenty of icing on it. All you really need is probably just some classroom time...which shouldn't cost you $2,000 US to get a taste of.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Call your local city volunteer organization.  I did.  They often run help sessions for new immigrants.  You could volunteer to help there.  Costs you no money, just time, and it will do wonders for your confidence.  Also, since they are new immigrants their English will be poor which will also show you what you need to listen for.

Sometimes the local school board could use help with their ESL programs.  Again, volunteer.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.