Introductions

• 1851 replies
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1470 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »

Yer gonna love Spring Festival.  bcbcbcbcbc bababababa qqqqqqqqqq rrrrrrrrrr uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuu

At least I'll be expecting it!

Much like bonfire night in England!  ahahahahah
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

« Reply #1471 on: November 06, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »
Just in case anyone cares, I'm SilverMay's other half!

Thanks SpV. bfbfbfbfbf I was curious, but wasn't sure if I should ask. ahahahahah

« Reply #1472 on: November 12, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
Be the day warm or cold, few things compliment a good meal like a slice of decent pie with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream on top. It don't even have to be apple pie. Cherry pie and vanilla ice cream are a great combo. Heck, even a scoop on top of some fresh peach cobbler will do.

I'm a Yank. No real job. Teach English on occasion, but I'm picky about who I take on as a pupil. Plus after a couple of sessions I usually end up telling them that their problem aint their ability to speak in English, it's their lack of confidence and worrying about making mistakes when speaking in English.

China is a nice enough place to park your carcass -aside from the chronic lack of decent pie.

Psst: 300/hour is the new 150/hour. Pass it on!
RMB300/hour is the new RMB150/hour. Pass it on!

« Reply #1473 on: November 12, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
G'day GZPF and welcome from an Aussie. agagagagag Which state do you call home? Are you teaching in China? I'm not trying to be nosey, but I like to hear how you new folk are going. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1474 on: November 12, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
Welcome the The Saloon Mr GZPF!   agagagagag agagagagag

All the best,

Sam
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."  (Oscar Wilde)

AMonk

« Reply #1475 on: November 13, 2011, 01:11:24 AM »
Greetings, GZPF agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1476 on: November 17, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
Howdy,

I'm 26 from New York and have the feeling that I would like to teach English. I am interested in China because...
-I have never been to Asia
-They have a huge demand for teachers (can't argue with an easy job market)
-I would like to learn Mandarin
-I would like to re-learn English.

So far I have spent some time as a constuction worker, military personnel, pizza delivery driver and novice slacker.

I am looking for new skills and experience as well as some exploration and possibly some fun.

My preferred location for all this doin would be down South in the Guangdong area. I am interested in the coastal area -- Macao, Hong Kong, Guangzhou. My only knowledge of China is from History classes and a friend who was born south of Shanghai. My research is ongoing. I am glad to find this forum, and hope to learn more about what it is I think I may be trying to get myself into.

Owen

« Reply #1477 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
G'day and welcome scotto858. agagagagag How I envy you and I'm really interested in how things turn out for you. bfbfbfbfbf There are some really helpful, trustworthy folk here who are willing to go that extra mile to help folk in your situation. The guys can also help you with any guy situations. afafafafaf  uuuuuuuuuu  aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #1478 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
Welcome to the Saloon scotto858!   agagagagag agagagagag

I am a "newbie" too and not yet in China --- you will find a wealth of information (and honest info, to boot!) on this site.

All the best,

Sam

« Reply #1479 on: November 17, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
Thanks!  Sam Smith --- We seem to be a similar distance from the same boat. What are you looking for in China?

I am a class shy of a BA degree (never took that final class), so I am trying to work something out without sacrificing too much. Basically just scouting around to put myself in a flexible position (extra time to explore and do side work). 

I am pretty durable, so I just want to get there while also covering my   :lickass:  as best as possible.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #1480 on: November 17, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
Welcome, guys! agagagagag

Scotto, definitely do finish that degree and get your diploma. You'll need it to get a Residence Permit and thus able to work legally in China. bjbjbjbjbj
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

AMonk

« Reply #1481 on: November 17, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
Welcome, scotto agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #1482 on: November 18, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
Scotto --- take Raoul's advice and get that degree --- that last class might be a pain in the ass but will be well worth it.

It took me 17 years (no laughing you guys!) to finish my B.S. --- like lots of people, had to work my way through school and, often times, career came fist so I put finishing my degree on the back burner.

I plan on heading to China next Fall and hope to be teaching at a university --- I have my sights on some of the "off the beatean path" places like Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia and Heilongjiang.

Take your time going through the posts here on the Saloon --- a wealth of information (the good, bad and the ugly) on everything you can imagine.  You will find the people here are civil and, for the most part, act like grown-ups.   kkkkkkkkkk  ahahahahah

Seriously --- if you can't find an answer to a question on here --- ask it.

All the best and keep all of us posted as to where you eventually land.

Sam

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #1483 on: November 23, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Scotto --- take Raoul's advice and get that degree --- that last class might be a pain in the ass but will be well worth it.

It took me 17 years (no laughing you guys!) to finish my B.S. --- like lots of people, had to work my way through school and, often times, career came fist so I put finishing my degree on the back burner.

I plan on heading to China next Fall and hope to be teaching at a university --- I have my sights on some of the "off the beatean path" places like Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia and Heilongjiang.

Take your time going through the posts here on the Saloon --- a wealth of information (the good, bad and the ugly) on everything you can imagine.  You will find the people here are civil and, for the most part, act like grown-ups.   kkkkkkkkkk  ahahahahah

Seriously --- if you can't find an answer to a question on here --- ask it.

All the best and keep all of us posted as to where you eventually land.

Sam

Let me second that.  A college degree may not seem that big a deal in the US, but over hear it is GOLD.  You are considered an expert and in high demand.  You just need to be dcareful as to where you choose to work.  take your time, do your researh and talk and don't be afraid to ask any of us old "China Hands" a question.  We will never steer you wrong but give you the straight skinny with no scuttlebutt.

« Reply #1484 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
Howdy :)

My name is Maverick and I'm from New Zealand (Not Australia haha). I'm fresh out of University and I'll be heading over to China next year as an English teacher in Shaoxing.

What a wicked forum. Looking forward to contributing heaps :)