The lure of Vietnam

• 17 replies

piglet

• Piglet's House
Re: The lure of Vietnam
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 11:23:13 PM »
And isn't that the same with all the Mercenaries, Missionaries and Misfits one gets in China too? Lots of idiot white monkey types with a BA in Basketweaving?
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
Some of it comes down to expectations and some on who you hang out with.

I've seen plenty of expats in China who think that all Chinese girls are desperately looking for a foreigner and a green card marriage.  I only met one confirmed green card girl ever.  I'm sure if I regularly hung out in some of the sleazier expat bars, I'd meet a few more, but I far prefer to go out to a restaurant and eat (and drink agagagagag) with friends than to spend every evening hunting the cheapest beer in town.

I've gotten the special "foreigner discount" (aka "let's see how dumb he is?") a few times.  I've also gotten great deals (independently verified by Chinese friends) because the sales person wanted to make a good impression.

I've gotten a few hostile looks.  I've also had complete strangers come up and share an umbrella with me when I got caught in a downpour.

If I had some freaked out pre-formed view that everything was bad, I'd probably view more experiences that way.

Overall, my interactions have been mostly positive.  Then again, I usually expect things to be positive (but also randomly confusing).

Vietnam does sound like a fun place for a vacation.  I'll probably give it a try sometime.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »
Having settled back in China I will say that I really really miss the coffee. It just was not a thing in Vietnam, their whole culture is built around coffee.

China does have coffee but it isn't local culture. It is horrific to me as a coffee addict how coffee is like a treat. Of course I could buy a coffee thing, but you just have access to coffee and smoothies in Vietnam, it's hell I tel ya, hell