China Infographic: 10 tips to get by in China

• 7 replies
China Infographic: 10 tips to get by in China
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Yang. It's actually my first post.

I recently made an infographic about Top ten tips foreigners should know when they come to China. And I would like to share with you. Hope it's helpful for you to find your love in China as well:) But I think if you have been in China for a while, you probably have known most of key points.

I am looking forward to hearing from your feedback for my infographic.Thanks a lot!

Yang

Re: China Infographic: 10 tips to get by in China
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
(a) expired link
(b) my new chinese wife?

if it's the same "become a local laowai" as the curious My New Chinese Wife thing, it's good for tourists, especially the old men who're concerned not to fall over their own feet while picking up their new Chinese wife. But does that industry still exist? I thought marrying white was over.

Apologies for tone if the actual infographic is something else.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:15 PM »
G'day  Yang! Why not pop over to "The Champagne Cabana" and go to the first topic "Introductions" and tell us a little bit about yourself mate.  Welcome to the Saloon! agagagagag

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »
Am I being particularly dense? I don't see any infographic  mmmmmmmmmm
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
The elance image link in the OP doesn't work. Title matching suggests - and lord, it was hard to find a copy not hosted by chinahush or something dot wordpress - the original inforgraphic was this'n:

Get married quick, buddies!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
Some of it isn't particularly accurate. We could have the laowai argument again I suppose, but I doubt you'll find many people agreeing that "laowai" means "a local foreigner who is experienced with Chinese culture."

And internet censorship? Chinese people love talking about that. I've had like 5 Chinese people ask me how to "jump the wall" in the past month alone.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
"...whilst visiting China" sticks in the craw a little. You get to be a local laowai for a while and after that you can hit the road, punk!

Nonetheless, 2 and 3 are probably timeless. But re 8, a kid did exactly that the other day while eating with his mother in a restaurant I frequent. The mother was bustling about the place, straightening stuff and looking over her shoulder. She saw a back door (and presumably a bathroom or sink back there), so hauled the kid off to wash hands. I looked over and gasped! TWO CHOPSTICKS STICKING UP IN A BOWL OF RICE! I had talismans though. The death curse passed me by and must have alighted on one of the many other students piling into the room, thank god.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:15:04 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:07:53 AM »
Every newbie laowai should know only one thing -
It is never wise to 'go off the rails' when first told something you don't like. Chances are it does not apply to you... or, something has been 'lost in translation'.
 bjbjbjbjbj
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.