May Day 'holiday'

• 21 replies
Re: May Day 'holiday'
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
I have the usual work on the weekend beforehand thing- this week we work 7 days straight, followed by 3 days off. What gets me is the days they've decided to make up on the weekends, which make no sense whatsoever!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 05:12:01 PM »
I tried to explain the Chinese holiday 'thing' to a friend -

CM: "This year Tuesday becomes Sunday."
F: "But last year Wednesday was Saturday."
CM: "Yeah, Thursday was changed to Friday because of the lunar calendar. The State Adminstration of Officially Confusing Foreigners had a meeting with the People's Central Committee on Holidays and decided to make it a provincial responsibility. However, the provincial reps didn't show up.
F: "Why not?"
CM: "Because it was a holiday."
F: "So who decided Tuesday will become Sunday this year?"
CM: "The FAO."
F: "Can they do that?"
CM: "Sure."
F: "Why?"
CM: "Because they have red ink... and flights to Hainan were cheaper on Monday."
F:  mmmmmmmmmm
CM:  ahahahahah
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »
 bkbkbkbkbk

That should be a sticky
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
not just funny, but dead accurate as well

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 02:16:32 AM »
We have Monday and Tuesday and then Wednesday is my day off but we work the previous Sat Sunday as in official Holiday thingy.
In any csse th the forecast bis thunderstorms and rain so no point in going anywhere.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:17 AM »
I have no problem with it at all. It's a one day holiday with a little switch-a-roo to get three days off in a row. I have no classes on wednesdays anyway so I don't actually have less work for the week but I still get three days off in a row. Perhaps a little inconvenient for my part-time gigs but since those are not exactly legal, I don't think I have much to complain about there.

It's not really a big difference to my life either but it just seems completely stupid to me. Either have the holiday or don't, if it just means moving classes around to inconvenient times then don't have the holiday.

It's just this idiocy, so this week is a holiday, ok thanks, but you have to come in on the weekend since we are being so nice and giving you a holiday, well can't I just have my normal week? no it's International Workers Day, this is China, you must do what your boss says

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 03:09:41 AM »
it's International Workers Day, this is China, you must do what your boss says

I larff hahaha

Unions are illegal

Striking is illegal

Demonstrating is illegal

Complaining about work conditions either brings on more work or gets you fired

Why don't they just call it what it really is
M'AIDER
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion