Another first for China - cigarettes/yr

• 5 replies

xwarrior

Another first for China - cigarettes/yr
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
China has 300 million smokers (that’s about the entire population of the United States, by the way). It’s been estimated that 60% to 75% of all Chinese men smoke, puffing an average of 15 cigarettes per day.

I put this information here because:

- I want to see if the graphic can fit on the page

- I helped achieve this impressive statistic

- I feel like I am part of a team that is blitzing every other country . . . we smoked them!

- back home 'cigarette' is a dirty word that can only be used by Medical Experts in government sponsored programmes aimed at stamping out the dreaded 'C' trade

- I want the sponsors of NGO's campaigning  against smoking in China to see how ineffective their work has been ... then they will pull the plug on them

For the record I smoke HONG HE because:
- at 5RMB a pkt they are relatively cheap
- they are the nearest taste to those back home (which must cost RMB50+ by now)
- I can pronounce the name, though you do have to put a bit of phlegm into the 'He' part to be understood in rural areas
- they do not have stupid blue filters      

[attachment removed for space reason by admin]
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
Re: Another first for China - cigarettes/yr
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:43:50 AM »
Horrifying statistics!    apapapapap  Obviously, I'm a non-smoker.    bebebebebe

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »
I hate the blue filter jobs, too. asasasasas

The graphic is interesting, but the stats on Greece aren't really anywhere near as dramatic as they make them sound. Their numbers boil down to just over 8 cigarettes per day, less than half a pack per day.

That would mark them as "light smokers" in most countries... kkkkkkkkkk
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

NATO

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:55:07 AM »
As an ex-smoker that reviles me.

(anyone got a spare fag?)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »
China is only winning by brute force (population). Surely Indonesia should be given heavier weighting for smoking kreteks.

Dex

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
Have finally dramatically cut back on cigs at long last, but took a trip to the UK, and all those draconian 'you can't smoke here, you're a filthy smoker' rules, to do it.

Now the trick is to keep it low (still happy to have drunken smokes hanging around - yikes)

Greece has re-banned indoor smoking! LOL. Gotta say; when the majority of a populace performs something that an elected government then bans, is that really called democracy?
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture