My new apartment

• 30 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: My new apartment
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »
Moving day was exciting.  Beginning with - an earthquake!!  I was woken up by it - bed shaking, clunking noises for about 10 secs.  (Minor confession - I thought it was the FT below me and his girlfriend being exceptionally energetic!! afafafafaf) But the 2 students who had decided to stay over also felt it in different rooms, so then we realised it was an earthquake - only a 4.5 though. Best mate visiting from Shenzhen slept through it.

The FAO called us in for a meeting about moving, then took us over to the new apartment so we could sign for all the new furniture, kettles, lamps etc then gave us our keys.  They had arranged for 2x 3-wheel bikes (4 of us were moving!), plus 4 workmen to carry all our stuff.  11 of my 4th year debaters rocked up to help which ,made the whole moving thing into a party.  They did a fantastic job.  A couple of girls stayed in the old apartment packing all the last minute bits and pieces, a couple stayed in the new apartment directing operations and unpacking stuff, and the boys carted piles of stuff.  We went to a pizza and beer lunch to say thanks for their hard work.

This new place is bigger - but given all the boxes and bags around still waiting to be unpacked, I have NO idea how I managed to fit it all into the old apartment.  aoaoaoaoao

I can't find the cable to upload photos of the shift yet - but when I do, you can mourn with me the pristine apartment of yesterday!!

But apart from being knackered - it was a pretty good day!!  Students have gone home, mate is still working, beds are made, aircon heat is on, hot shower is waiting!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »
Not another one :(

Glad moving day went well though!
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 02:40:40 AM »
Students have gone home, mate is still working, beds are made, aircon heat is on, hot shower is waiting!

.and yer still slacking on the computer!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 02:42:36 AM »
No no no - mate is working at his office!  He'll rock back here, wanting a hot shower, red wine, another couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica and then a warm bed!!  He wasn't here for the move.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 02:44:44 AM »
He wasn't here for the move.
Slack bastard!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 03:20:15 AM »
 bkbkbkbkbk

Schnerby

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 03:45:45 AM »
Sounds exhausting!  aoaoaoaoao

I bet it will look and feel fantastic when you have finished moving in  bfbfbfbfbf

Ruth

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
Glad to hear that the big hurdle is over.  Now comes the fun part of deciding where to put everything. I'm looking forward to seeing how you fill all those lovely shelves in your den.  Like Becster, I love looking at pics of others people's homes.

Later will come the not so fun part of 'where the HECK did I put that? (Always have something I know exactly where it was in the old place, but can't for the life of me remember where I stashed it in the new place.)

Pizza and beer.  Trust our dear LotusEater to turn it into a party  ahahahahah
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »
I hear you about the clean... so is it the DRY air or is it just China but WHY and HOW does my apartment get so dusty and dirty in less than 2 days of sweeping and mopping it WITH all the windows closed... WHERE is all this MAGIC Chinese dirt/dust coming from... now I know it's not just me??  aoaoaoaoao

Oooooh that's nice!  akakakakak

Looks like the kind of place you could really enjoy calling home! My place is adequate, but I can't really get it 100% clean.

I'm sure you will love it there.

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
is it just China but WHY and HOW does my apartment get so dusty and dirty in less than 2 days of sweeping and mopping it WITH all the windows closed... WHERE is all this MAGIC Chinese dirt/dust coming from...

You go outside, you come inside - YOU EXHALE  ahahahahah ahahahahah bjbjbjbjbj
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »
Moving day began with an earthquake, but that didn't stop us!

Where we live:

Some of the girls packing at the old place

The workers packing the trikes with stuff

The boys took over the trike from the workers and pedalled a little faster to my new place.

More girls unpacking at the new place

The new bookshelves being filled - by category of book!!  I thought I'd end up with more room in the shelves, but after collecting all of the books in various shelves in my old apartment - they just fit onto this set.  ananananan

The 11 students who came to help were fabulous!  akakakakak akakakakak akakakakak
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:28:05 AM by Lotus Eater »

AMonk

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:03 AM »
Isn't it funny how things (especially books) will miraculously expand to fill the space available for them?? ahahahahah

Congrats, again agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

Ruth

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 06:22:04 PM »
Nuts.  I thought I'd get to see some of your lovely tea things displayed on all those shelves in your office.  At least you've got all your books in one place now.

Too true, Amonk.  Whatever space I have I manage to fill.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:31 PM »
I'm on the hunt for a 'bogujia' - which is a proper tea dongxi display stand seen in the tea shops.  If I can find one of those, I'll display them in my dining room and load a photo. Then I can use the shelving I have them on for all of the office folders etc still in boxes. ahahahahah

My plan is to have it set up so that I can lean in my balcony window, refill my teapot and enjoy the garden view.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
It looks great and I imagine it will feel like "home" in no time.  It will become even harder for you to leave Xi'an and China when the time comes.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)