Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China

• 586 replies

kitano

• Children of the Atom
Re: Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China
« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »

Beijing ... July, 2012... there's at least one more in the heap somewhere, but I haven't had much time to sift through any of this stuff while checking in on kanuckistan. 

The Revelation is ALWAYS Truculent. ayayayayay

I saw some very normal looking 40 year old mum wearing this today, didn't have time to stop her and ask what it mean lol

« Reply #481 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
"The revelation is always truculent" has actual google search hits.

The one from Baidu seems to give the origin of the Chinglish.

On the up side, maybe someone's doing research on how to get better machine translations.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
My friend bought this for me in the local market. Sensational!

aoaoaoaoao

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
Is that the emergency plan when no British girls are available? ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »
Is that the emergency plan when no British girls are available? ahahahahah

ahahahahah

I just can't believe teenage girls are walking around the streets wearing this!

xwarrior

« Reply #485 on: September 03, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
 bfbfbfbfbf Nice one,Arnold J. Rimmer. T-shirt of the Year, I reckon.   
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Chief

« Reply #486 on: September 17, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »
Aha thats incredible, I do wonder how many people are wearing that t-shirt now not fully understanding it's meaning !

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #487 on: September 22, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »
Isn't that our job to explain?  bibibibibi
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
I saw a girl wearing a t-shirt last night that said 'I'm not easy but we can talk about it", and a guy last week sporting this slogan... 'my brain is on vacation".

« Reply #489 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Isn't that our job to explain?  bibibibibi

No, our job is to teach English in class, follow the curriculum and impart the knowledge necessary for the students to pass their exams, that's it. That is what I get paid for. Random people wearing t-shirts with sentences they do not understand is just amusing. Much like it is to the Chinese when they see a laowai with what he thinks is some insightful, spiritual Chinese proverb tattooed on his arm and in reality it means "Hop hop little frog"...

I saw one local walking around with a t-shirt that simply said "I don't care!" I thought it was awesome in its honesty.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #490 on: September 22, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Depends on what/who you are teaching. Kids going abroad Should know that the "I'm Free and Easy" T-shirt may not mean what they think it means.

I do tell my school class about T-shirts I've seen and what they meat mean. "I like 69" is not the English version of Ying and Yang.

It makes for a great warm-up for class.

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #491 on: October 07, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »
The liaison between the school and our company came into the office wearing this t-shirt

I asked her if she knew what Badass meant.  She said no so I told her.  Our director said she was just the opposite, the sweetest teacher in the school, to which I remarked unless she was chewing out a student, then she is like an old drill sergeant.  The funny thing is, she bought it on her last trip to the US.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #492 on: October 07, 2012, 05:51:47 AM »
Britain was quite bad for that when I was at university. 13 year old girls wearing crop tops and jeans with 'juicy' written on their ass and stuff

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
@ETR a propos "I don't care" that was my own personal motto for coping with the classroom experience pre-retirement. Now in China I really DO care about my students. akakakakak akakakakak
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »
... time for an update from the streets and school hallways of the Chonx:

I have a real camera.  It's a pretty nice camera.  This is a product of my camera phone. I still remember getting high with a buddy of mine in the early 90's- late 8o's o_O - and making up weird product amalgams like pencil-bucket ... and sofa-oven ... I'm pretty sure camera phone would have made us giggle like idiots too.  Anywho ... more from the camera phone:

I love this one.  How come I never see these shirts when I go shopping? WTF am I doing wrong ...? sigh.

Sometimes the camera phone is the quick and dirty option (emphasis on the dirty)...so these next two aren't going to win any prizes, but whatever.  Also, it's a hoodie, so they may be considered off topic ...  mmmmmmmmmm

I feel like the viewer/comrade saloonists may feel that the message on that last one comes at them a little too directly in thar face - so to speak - so I'll end this post with an uplifting quote kind of like a unicorn chaser...

AHEM:

(googled unicorn quotes and lo and behold - they appeared. sadly, most required a FU chaser or caused me to 'meh'...here's the one I liked...)

“I found the hum of his computer rather soothing, but it was the complete lack of unicorn carcasses that really pulled the room together.”
― Diana Peterfreund, Rampant
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:48:50 AM by Maifeilan »
"At times, the novice found pre-Deluge English more perplexing than either Intermediate Angelology or Saint Leslie's theological calclulus." - A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter M. Miller, Jr,.