Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China

• 586 replies

xwarrior

Re: Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2011, 11:08:45 PM »

can we get more photos

At the moment I am transferring all my programmes etc from my old PC (in the computering sense of the words) to a new-old one that was gifted to me by a great Australian - I know, all Australians are great - who has upgraded.

I am still trying to master the machine - and with Vista already installed that ain't easy.  bibibibibi

In the meantime I have dragged out one of the photos that went MIA some time last year so it is just here to update.

I must admit that I have used the expression several times during today.  aoaoaoaoao

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »
I also enjoy this thread  bjbjbjbjbj

The 'comments' don't really bother me either.  agagagagag agagagagag

The walmart photos that are online all the time have significantly worse comments than any here. 

What I recommend is the members that object to the photos or the comments could just not read the thread.   agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2011, 12:50:44 AM »
Finally, I think it doesn't matter what's right or who's right, but rather who says what and who is in the majority. It ain't me, so let the sexist, racist comments fly boys! Let 'em roll. Let 'em roll. Logic and reason be damned!  agagagagag

Am I the only one who gets turned on when Ben Dan talks like that? afafafafaf
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2011, 02:15:19 AM »
I'm skipping all that pesky reading and going back to the show.

« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »
Hahaha "I lone you too"

I saw a girl today in class with a tshirt that said "these are ready to spring" not sure what to make of that!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
If I might jump in here, one of the things I admire about this forum,as opposed to others, is the freedom of speech and mutual respect I sense in the (mostly) mature and intelligent dialogue that goes on. I may have got the wrong end of the stick,but for the most part you people have made me feel that everyone here can express themselves without being shot down for being a newbie, asking a stupid question or whatever.OF course there are going to be differences of opinion on more controversial matters here and there,but the dialogue is the main thing,isn't it? I am female (having been "outed" by RD a while back).I didn't want to state my sex at the beginning precisely because sometimes people make judgements about you based on your sex, but RD explained that people want to know how to address you.So ok, I stated. Frankly it's often good to observe interchange on a forum from a neutral standpoint- people definitely DO address you differently as soon as they know if you are male or female.I didn't take offence at the comments on the shirts, and I think BD's idea to use them as a subject for a lesson could be brilliant.Students should be encouraged to know what is written on their fronts.Maybe it's a cultural thing.
I know that some women want to be objectified and others don't. Simple as that.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

jpd01

« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »
I suck at the quote function so I'll just paste it in here:

Quote from: jpd01 on Yesterday at 10:44:40 PM
Well in the case of a t-shirt that has Chinglish that is of a sexual nature (both obvious and interpretive) what other style of comment would you like?

The only comments that are a problem are specific sexual comments about the girl who happens to be wearing the shirt, as opposed to comments about the shirt itself. You may have noticed that I posted a "Romeo Fuck Juliet" image, so obviously I don't have a problem with talking about what it says on the shirt.

So if i say I would like the chance to be Romeo would that offend you??

]Quote
Also there is the assumption that 100% of the of the subjects in the photos have no idea what their shirts mean because their English is so bad because they are Chinese and in that instance we end up pigeon holing people into another stereo type.

I searched back through the thread and I can't find where someone said that? My feeling is that the girls in a lot of the photos don't have a clue what the words mean. Do you think they know what "I'm Tight" means? There's no assumption that their English is terrible because they're Chinese, though it is obvious in many instances that they don't know what the shirts actually say, for example the girl I saw yesterday with the shirt that said, "Un Idiot" on the back.

Indeed no one has said that but it is an assumption because you are not leaving any room here for the possibility that the particular women wore said articles of clothing fully aware of the statements that they carry. Again you really are assuming that they don't know what it means by stating that it's obvious they don't know what's on it.

And there is the stereo type that young asian girls (students especially) are innocent and that they need our protection from such nasty objectional comments about them.

Not sure who expressed that opinion, but it wasn't me. It's not about how innocent the girls are or not, or about protecting them or not (not that they have any say in whether or not their picture is uploaded to the site, or have any chance to defend themselves in response to explicit comments about their bodies or what forum members would like to do to their bodies). It's just about not making lewd comments about people's pictures, after they've been uploaded to the site because of something written in English on their shirts.

This simply leads to the young women being infantilized and does nothing for sexual liberalization or growth.

How does it infantilize a young woman to tell a guy on a forum that his lewd comments about the uploaded picture of her are inappropriate? On the other hand, putting a picture of a young woman online and subjecting her to the erotic voyeurism of males who then make pointed comments about her as a sexualized being absolutely DO infantilize them, because they have no way to respond and are only captured in that light and frozen in that particular context.

How about not breaking up two sentences that are based on the same point to try and make an argument.

And I'm also sure that there are some insinuating comments on there about me or some about me being handsome and tall or other combinations that could be thought of a inappropriate if I really wanted to find them.

There's likely truth in that, but somehow you've only saddles yourself with being tall and handsome. What if they said you had "pig skin" and were hopelessly vain and smelled like a dog? That might be a little different.

Frankly I wouldn't care because I have no connection to the people making the comments, if the people around me that I interact with made those comments then I would take an interest but bar that I couldn't care less. I find it hard imagine a person that would take offense at a bunch of random comments on a forum about them if the person had no idea who the people were and no connection to them what so ever.

Maybe this has something to do with the way in which older people see students or their reaction to them based upon their demeanour whilst in the presence of an older teacher. My students often wear shirts that have funny double meanings or slight sexual innuendo attached to them and in a lot of cases they DO know what it means and either like the statement or think it's a funny joke.

I ain't that old either, at least in my student's eyes. But yes, I don't try to teach them about my sex life or flirt with them, or encourage them to think sexual innuendo is cool. It's out of place in the classroom and I don't do it. You can conduct an experiment. For example, print out the picture of the girl with the shirt that says, "I'm Tight" on it, explain exactly what that means, then read the next post in which someone said it was definitely an invitation, and explain what that means. Ask them how they feel about the picture, the person who posted it, and the response.

Easily enough done, I shared the picture and the comments in my student qq group the first comments were as such:
❤Anna's Lavender❤  7:56:26 PM
where do I find one    ?
Lucy 7:57:57 PM
Why would she wear that??
godspeed 7:58:21 PM
........ where is she found
godspeed 7:58:38 PM
where is lucys copy?
Lucy 7:58:42 PM
bad guy
Lucy 7:58:45 PM
heihei
jenny 7:59:24 PM
long time no chat
jenny 7:59:52 PM
who cares invite whole world it is just a shirt no need to act
Joan 8:00:12 PM
i donot know people why did i care they talk about me?
Joan 8:00:20 PM
hehe they like chinese girl? smart
komojo 8:02:51 PM
haha
komojo 8:02:55 PM
nice girl
komojo 8:03:01 PM
teacher make the exam like this. if i can help i will
olivia 8:03:04 PM
呵呵……is this your girlfriend ??*^o^*
olivia 8:03:15 PM
maybe blacks girl
Life 8:03:16 PM
er I know you are busy .   
Life 8:03:23 PM
why you post this...really funny? just joke who care about it??
Life 8:03:29 PM
they just make a joke about the shirt right if she had no shirt then no jokes
永続的なのper 8:03:53 PM
just joke why people care?

It basically just degenerated into making fun of the girl and the comments, no one was offended by the posted comments and were mostly confused about what the problem was.
My mum raised me as a single parents and used to run women's groups as her passion, she used to say that men will always talk about women in a way that some would see as negative but it's ok as long as that is the topic or place to say it (such as a forum or men's magazine) it's when its not the topic or appropriate place (such as a job interview or equal opportunity forum) then it's wrong. Because you have taken the subject out of its context and only see people in one category no matter the situation.  But to never allow a topic or generalize it as bad even if it is in a place which holds no social significance is simply social censoring and worse than any benignly sexist or crude remarks (paraphrasing)
Most western countries have descended into a PC nightmare where everyone is so nice and polite to everyone and everything and afraid to be themselves or make comments about certain subjects without getting bashed over the head by someone.
Are some of the comments crude and childish? yes of course they are, but does that make them wrong or bad? No
If the subject or the original post was such as to make the comments negative and inappropriate then I would say they are BS and shouldn't have been said. But to label them as wrong no matter where they are posted in any situation or discussion is simply out of order.
I can't be bothered writing anything more, I have some study to do so for now I'm out.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

xwarrior

« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:43 AM »
jpd01 - Appreciate the time and thought you (and your students) put into the subject. As they say in the movies, "Your mother done raised you good."  agagagagag

- Bette Midler

xwarrior

« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:12 AM »
re. I can't stop

Gee Stil - I didn't know Canadians had blue semen   aoaoaoaoao

agagagagag
- Bette Midler

« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2011, 03:52:35 AM »
 agagagagag

Interesting argument!

jpd01

« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2011, 04:25:04 AM »
re. I can't stop

Gee Stil - I didn't know Canadians had blue semen   aoaoaoaoao

agagagagag

Blue semen WTf?? ahahahahah ahahahahah
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Just a thought: Slapping the word "Juicy" across one's chest (whether one is male or female) is likely to inspire some very politically incorrect thoughts.  Think I'll get that printed on one of my t-shirts and go visit Granny Mae. ahahahahah

Step aside son, this is how you do it:

I'll go visit Granny Mae. I'll get the word "Juicy" printed on a t-shirt and give it to her. Take a pic, blow it to poster size and hang it in my room

That's okay with you Granny Mae? Maybe we can post the pics here  :lickass:

I like all those ideas. bfbfbfbfbf I've had a more interesting idea for the pic posting though. uuuuuuuuuu Perhaps one of you guys who knows how to superimpose that T-shirt on to a photo of Granny Mae when she was 20 yrs old, could do that instead? ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah  afafafafaf

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
I have seen this shirt in England numerous times.......

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »
Just locking it for now. I will somehow figure out how to deal with this mess eventually. llllllllll
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)