Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China

• 586 replies

xwarrior

Re: Outstanding English T-shirt statements in China
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2011, 04:30:50 AM »
out of interest Xwarrior what camera do you use for these pics?

Greetings to you memnoch87. It is a Canon Powershot S3is. 12x zoom/6mpx

It sure is not small - looks like your normal SLR camera but it's digital. A lot of the time  a lot of people know that I am taking their picture - I have had to acquire some people skills in handling different situations!! At the same time it is not as big as the more expensive dSLR's so it kind of more manageable.

The zoom sure comes in handy for a lot of the street shots but I do not hide away. Most people are focussed on something else when in the street, but if they look at me a big grin and thumbs up gets a positive response in China.

I carry the camera in an ordinary shoulder bag on top of the rest of my junk. I do not keep it in a proper camera bag because fast access seems more important to me than keeping it in pristine condition. After 4 years use it still works ok.

I went for the S3 because it has all the functions I want for taking the photos I like. It is actually not that good in low light conditions so that can be frustrating at times. The best camera I have had for totally accurate photos in any light conditions was an Asahi Pentax - but when I needed to upgrade they were hellishly expensive in China.

If I take photos of people on my beaten path I always try to get back and give them a photo. For me, this has been the most rewarding part of taking photos in China. A lot of people on low incomes do not have the means or time to have photos taken. It is a small thing but out of that I have made many friends in the street.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »
Thanks dude.  bjbjbjbjbj

Do you mind if I ask how much it was? where did you get it etc.

xwarrior

« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
how much it was

It was RMB3400 about 4 years ago. Most prob a lot cheaper now - but since then a lot of new cameras have come along. I bought it in Guangzhou.

The strange thing about the S3 is that it has a really good movie function - but I am not really into taking videos.

One thing I have learned about buying cameras in China is an 'apple and pears' thing. You can shop around to get the cheapest price .. but 2 other factors can affect price.

1. Country of Manufacture
- expensive made ... in Japan
- less expensive ... assembled in China from parts made in Japan
- cheapest ... made in China

2. Warranty
- expensive ... international
- cheaper ... covered in China 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:17:20 AM by xwarrior »
- Bette Midler

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

Juicy Bunny Slope

xwarrior

« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
Shot !!!  bfbfbfbfbf  I wonder if she will develop into a Ski Jumper  agagagagag
- Bette Midler

« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Shot !!!  bfbfbfbfbf  I wonder if she will develop into a Ski Jumper  agagagagag

bfbfbfbfbf

3 words to work with and he picks "slope"!

(think JUICY)
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry, I appear to have wandered into a high school boys locker room by mistake  bibibibibi . I understand. Only ill disguised boob humor welcome here... Right, I get it. I'll be on my way then.

You give us FAR too much credit.

Is it PC? No
Is it right? No
Is it fun? Yes

Its also harmless and no more objectifying than some of the magazines we are accustomed to like Cosmo or Playboy/girl. It up their with the Chinglish; childishly funny.

Like Mr Bean, I'm a little boy in an old man's body
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:52:53 PM by Day Dreamer »
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
and apropos men and one-track minds - I recently saw a well-endowed female student with a large arrow on her front which said "My face is up here stupid"  ahahahahah
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

xwarrior

« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »
Read the T-shirt:

The BS-Wrestling Pit

If you want to read and discuss issues that are controversial, opinionated, or cranky, do it here. If you don't want to read such stuff, don't come in. NOTE that basic rules of civility still apply!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:51:18 AM by xwarrior »
- Bette Midler

« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2011, 01:32:34 AM »
Perhaps the question to ask ourselves is how would we feel if the people in the photos had their attention drawn to this forum, and fully understood the more body related comments. My understanding is that since this is downstairs, guests can see this thread. If I'm incorrect in that, then my objections would be somewhat more dissolved.

Honestly, I agree it's mostly harmless, but the little bit that isn't seems a bit unfair.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:22 AM »
Mr B you are clearly an officer and a gentleman
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

xwarrior

« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »
PC response to this T-shirt:

1. it is white so by definition it is proclaiming that white is the only acceptable colour in society  - it should be printed in colours representing all the oppressed minority peoples of the world

2. the shape of this t-shirt is the same as the biology symbol for a MALE. Until T-shirts are produced that represent the biological symbol for a (FE)MALE then half the world' population will continue to be oppressed

2. Short sleeves reinforces the obsession of males for NAKED ARMS. We all know that there is a direct link between the viewing of naked arms and copulating in public with blow up dolls. It is time that men stopped perving on women's arms and recognised that there is more to a woman's body than just her arms.

4. I think that the graphic on this T-shirt is perverted and disgusting. If they think that by printing it in white on a white background somehow morally excuses them then they had better think again.
Don't these people realise that every utterance causes offense to someone.

5. this T-shirt has been designed by white males for white males; no provision has been made for breast-feeding, wheelchair itch or braille dressing guidelines for the unsighted as required by local government regulations

- Bette Midler

« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:46 AM »
Have I missed something? Was this started by the "slope"joke about the tshirt?

« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2011, 11:45:42 AM »
Have I missed something? Was this started by the "slope"joke about the tshirt?

I was wondering the same thing. I'll probably get into trouble here, but I have been enjoying this thread and maybe I have a strange sense of humor. Perhaps some of the teachers could give a lesson about wearing a T-shirt while not understanding what it really means. I, for one, in no way associate the wearer with the comment on her T-shirt.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
I seem to remember a Chippindale's thread awhile back. I'm not sure where as I wasn't interested in the topic so I didn't check it out.

I thought this thread was about the moronic English t-shirts some Chinese wear. There was some discussion on it as why there seem to be fewer boys than girls wearing English shirts they don't understand. There are Chinese forums dedicated to tattoos that have threads on stupid foreigner Chinese tats. This is much the same.

Don't get me wrong. I for one enjoy objectifying women at times but very few in this thread. Upstairs in the Mens Only Area is much better for that.  afafafafaf