Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1050 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »
Finished downloading 'The Hollowmen" and spent most of last night watching it. 

I love Aussie windup thingys!

So much fun, but well done and intelligent.

« Reply #1051 on: February 26, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »
Red vs Blue

If you're at all familiar with Halo and Capture the Flag version of first-person shooter video games, it's a hoot.  They call it mechanimation, using the Halo game engine to animate stories.  Cheky Tout on Youtube.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

A-Train

« Reply #1052 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »
"I'm really, really, really, really trying to cut back on buying DVDs..."

Why would you even want to attempt this?  It's masochistic.  You might leave a perfectly good movie unwatched with that kind of attitude.  I'll have to try a couple of your suggestions.  If I could recommend one to you, it would be "Let The Right One In".  Unless you're sqeamish that is.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1053 on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

Why would you even want to attempt this?  It's masochistic.

You are not here yet are you A-Train? The problem is that a DVD costs about $1.00. You end up buying more than you can watch. I have a lot more DVDs than the DVD shops.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #1054 on: February 28, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »

Why would you even want to attempt this?  It's masochistic.  You might leave a perfectly good movie unwatched with that kind of attitude.  I'll have to try a couple of your suggestions.  If I could recommend one to you, it would be "Let The Right One In".  Unless you're sqeamish that is.

Welcome, A-Train.

I saw Let The right One In and found it alright. It's obscenely overrated by the internet film community, namely one Devin Faraci, but I've had my fill of vampire films. Not trash. I've just seen so many films that treaded into similar territory that I was not impressed by it. The hyperbole from critics only puts it up on a pedestal that inevitably works against it, I believe.

I think of it as Lasse Hallstrom's Martin. Take some basic concepts George Romero did with Martin, and a tiny piece of the Near Dark concept, splice in the artistic competence and the aesthetic characterizations from My Life As A Dog, and throw in a pinch of difference, turn on the mixer and pour it out. Not the worst thing a person could come up with, thankfully.

I'm jaded. It's good to know that you enjoyed it.

Stil makes a good point, in that it's easy to end up with an insanely large collection over an incredibly short time. It's not unheard of, for some expat to walk into a market with a dozen shops and leave an hour later with 100 DVDs. It's also easy for a film fan to burn through money stocking up on quality, pirated versions of really cool imports from England, America, Australia, Japan and Hong Kong at a single shop.

A small part of my decision to cut back is space. I'm very likely in the position where I will move again. It's a pain to haul everything. I want to liberate myself from the burden. DVDs are a start. When I went home for the holiday I brought back several terrabytes of movies and television programs from back home, to watch. While I love my current city's variety of DVDs on offer, I stockpiled a lot of entertainment back home. Finally, with all of the fen I pinch in limiting my DVD purchases I can put that money to other things I enjoy, such as getting several tattoos inked that I've waited a few years to get. A few 100 here and a few 100 yuan notes there and it adds up. some movies are easy to track down online, and I'm pretty sure the tongs, Beijing party boys, or Hollywood oligarchy aren't getting a red fen from it  ahahahahah

Speaking for myself: welcome to China and bring on all the film talk you've got, A-Train! We don't get a lot of it, but it's a welcomed addition.

The irony of this post is that a student wants me to join them on a DVD shopping trip this afternoon. They want me to recommend some films to them. I knew I'd fall off the wagaon again, but this is too soon. ananananan
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1055 on: February 28, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
My 'Hollowmen' DVD walked out of the door as soon as I finished it - into a Chinese DVD player.  Wonder what they will think of the totally irreverent way the PM is treated?

Finished Season 5 of 'House'.  Moving onto Slumdogs and other Oscar nominees before classes start on Tuesday.

A-Train

« Reply #1056 on: February 28, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
" think of it as Lasse Hallstrom's Martin. Take some basic concepts George Romero did with Martin, and a tiny piece of the Near Dark concept, splice in the artistic competence and the aesthetic characterizations from My Life As A Dog, and throw in a pinch of difference, turn on the mixer and pour it out."

If this is a criticism then what do you have left for genuine praise?  95% of the celluloid being peddaled out there doesn't put in the level of effort you describe above.  I thought the idea of a "vampire" requiring a caretaker was an interesting and thoughtful slant on an old genre.  That combined with the young boy's outpouring of affection for the young, female "vampire" as fellow victim was downright heartbreaking.  It pushed the whole vampire pretext into background...no mean feat.

Hallstrom is near genious.  Never took the time yet to see "Martin" but I just love his "slice of life" movies: "Shipping News", "Once Around".  Real people, (including the exceptional ones), dimensioned by honest and intelligent dialogue.  Makes the plot so secondary as to force me to wonder why I even consider it important in the first place.  If I could be compared, however unfavorably, to his works I would know I'd achieved success.

Where did you pick up your film addiction?  Or was it a-la-carte?

PS
Just saw "Man On Wire".  Good stuff.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #1057 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »
  Never took the time yet to see "Martin" but I just love his "slice of life" movies

Martin is a film by George Romero. Worth seeing. Dated. Still, it's worth seeing. If lasse Hallstrom made Martin it'd be more like Let The Right One In.

Where did you pick up your film addiction? 

It's in the blood.

I took a student DVD shopping and fell off the wagon with:

Achilles and the Tortoise
Rock'n'Rolla
Gomorrah
Feast III: The Happy Finish
Max Mon Amour
Hit Team/Task Force
Fantastic Planet
Platform
Runaway Blues/Back Alley Princess
High Plains Drifter
Two Mules For Sister Sarah
Joe Kidd
A Fistful of Dynamite
Elvis: That's The Way It Is

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Schnerby

« Reply #1058 on: March 01, 2009, 02:32:28 AM »
My 'Hollowmen' DVD walked out of the door as soon as I finished it - into a Chinese DVD player.  Wonder what they will think of the totally irreverent way the PM is treated?

Will be interesting. Hollowmen was a really good watch. Surprisingly so. But the faceless PM and the jibes about him... it might be a bit difficult to comprehend.

« Reply #1059 on: March 03, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
Watched Slumdog Millionaire last night.

axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax

WATCH THIS MOVIE.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1060 on: March 03, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
Watched Slumdog tonight. Tough Movie!! The Babe's sister brought home a DVD with 15 movies on it! The Wrestler , Slumdog, a few others I don't know. Demmed cunning, these Orientals!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #1061 on: March 03, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
Somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm off the wagon. Hopefully, the sheer multitude will keep me from falling off the wagon again until I find HQ discs of Pinapple Express and Step Brothers.

The Comet Strikes/Shanghai Affairs. Shanghai Affairs sucks, but I bought the disc for The Comet Strikes
The Invincible Sword/ Beach of The War Gods
A Russian DVD that kind of looks like it says "TELEPAH-43," but it's Cyrillic, so the L has to be upside-down. It looks like a period gangster film.

Opium and the Kung Fu Master
Story of Liubao
10 Fingers of Shaolin
The Kid From Kwantung/another Shaw Bros. film that I will have to watch to find the title
Heads For Sale/another Shaw Bros. film that I will have to watch to find the title for

Mao Une Histoire Chinoise
Lee Rock
Lee Rock II
The Foot Fist Way
Saw V
High Anxiety
Futurama: Bender's Game
The Tin Drum
The Indian Runner
Encarnacao do Demonio
Fool N Final: Bollywood comedy with master thespian Mike Tyson
Assault on Precinct 13 - the original
Role Models
The Incredible Hulk
The Dirty Dozen
Cross of Iron
The World Without U. S.
Standard Operating Procedure
Rest Stop

It's not particularly highbrow, and pretty self-consciously avoiding the Oscar pets, though any Hindi musical with Mike Tyson pretty much has to be film of the year, right?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:26:52 PM by Spaghetti »
Haruki Murakami

A-Train

« Reply #1062 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »
"Watched Slumdog tonight. Tough Movie!!"

And at the same time it's a "feel-good" movie.  How did you enjoy the credits?

Pearl S. Buck

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1063 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »
Umm.......mmm........er....didn't watch the credits.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

A-Train

« Reply #1064 on: March 04, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
"Umm.......mmm........er....didn't watch the credits."

The dance scene during the credits was one of the best parts of the movie.  And I liked the movie.  Bali-wood regalia.  I read somewhere that Indian movies are filled with so much colorful song and dance because they don't allow any sex to be shown.  I think there was a lot of repression relieved during this choreography.

Pearl S. Buck