Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #510 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »
Saw it, pretty much liked it, but the version I saw was the heavily edited (IMHO) locally approved version. Training for gymnastics at the olympics? Or trying out for the local volley-ball team? You must have seen a more complete version of the film than I saw. Decent film, nothing to get excited about, but nothing to complain about either. I'd second your opinion, Granny Mae. A decent chick flick with <edited> sex scenes. Guys, don't tear up your tickets, but you may not have to buy that extra package of tissue paper either.

« Reply #511 on: January 24, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
I'll wait for a decent download...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #512 on: January 24, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
I saw Lust Caution and was disappointed. Somehow it just didn't work--very forgettable.

Dark Knight trailer looked very intersting-saw it before (I think) Charlie Wilsons War (which is worth a look btw) hadn't realized Heath Ledger is the Joker until reports of his death yeasterday---for that matter didn't know he was in Im Not There...I waiting for this film and it pisses me off you guys are seeing it in China before any of these art houses in Edmonton get it..Think it was due here but was bumped by There Will Be Blood.(Anyone seen that one yet?...rave reviews but I'm not a big fan of Boogie Nights or God help us all Magnolia.)

« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2008, 08:59:43 AM »
Got introduced to Curb Your Enthusiasm when in the UK last week and now I'm hooked.  agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
It is too early to say.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
 Larry David is brilliant. The similarities between him and his Seinfeld alter-ego George Costanza are are disturbing.

I FINALLY found the third season of Weeds and am downloading the last Sopranos episodes. So far, knowing what happens hasn't ruined the Sopranos experience for me. Best TV show ever.Period.

« Reply #515 on: February 01, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
Just saw "Walk Hard",the Dewey Cox Story. Nearly died laughing and so did a lot of the blokes in the theatre.(so knew it was more than my weird sense of humour at work)
Can anyone tell me if there was such a person as Dewey Cox? (a name ripe for bad puns!)

Acjade

« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »
Just saw "Walk Hard",the Dewey Cox Story. Nearly died laughing and so did a lot of the blokes in the theatre.(so knew it was more than my weird sense of humour at work)
Can anyone tell me if there was such a person as Dewey Cox? (a name ripe for bad puns!)

You're asking tongue in cheek, right? Otherwise I'm really tired.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #517 on: February 03, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
 I met a girl named Shiny Wang last week. Someone has to tell these people to take more care when picking English names. At it wasn't "Throbbing".

Ahem. FINALLY saw the Trailer Park Boys movie yesterday. In all honesty it didn't play as well as feature film. Too often it seemed as though they were trying to stretch a 30 minute premise into 90 minutes. Did have some great moments though.

Also saw For Your Consideration. Not as good as Christopher Guest's other movies but well worth a look. Catherine O'Hara is great.

« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
Tim Burton's new movie is worth a look:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I was surprised by the amount of blood, but it's a good story and very well told.

I'm usually interested in pretty much anything Burton does.  But I'm put off this by the fact that it's a musical.  asasasasas
It is too early to say.

« Reply #519 on: February 06, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »
Tim Burton's new movie is worth a look:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I was surprised by the amount of blood, but it's a good story and very well told.

I'm usually interested in pretty much anything Burton does.  But I'm put off this by the fact that it's a musical.  asasasasas

I understand and, normally, I would agree. I usually hate musicals because they're so hapyy and romantic and lovey-dovey. This, however, is a musical about a man who gets screwed royally by someone. goes Hamlet-like bonkers and then starts to kill people, chopping them up and selling them as meat pies to law students and professors from the Old Bailey. That is my kind of musical.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #520 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »
Speaking of musicals...and I ain't a fan either...my son told me about 'Across the Universe' set to Beattles music.  My son is way out in the alternative scene and other weird stuff but said this was a good flick.  I bought dvd but haven't watched it yet.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »
I haven't seen "Across the Universe" yet and probably won't. I hate the Beatles. Their songs are stickier than cotton candy dipped in sirup and then fried in honey and rolled up in fudge.

Just read that many people are angry that Sweeney Todd is a musical. They have been misled by the trailer. Sure....And I was misled by Armageddon. Mmmhm...totally. Thought I was going to see an epic battle between the Armies of Hell and the Anagelic Host. Instead I was subjected to watching Ben Affleck being a moron. If they had called it "Really, really stupid movie with Ben Affleck in it" I wouldn't have been misled.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #522 on: February 07, 2008, 02:01:29 AM »
Just saw 3:10 To Yuma, a remake of the 1957 classic which starred Glen Ford and Van Heflin. Russel Crowe plays the outlaw Ben Wade. There was some very good acting; the audience seemed to like the movie and it rates four stars from a reputable movie critic. What was Granny's response?? I laughed my head off while the rest of the audience was quiet! I could not believe that they were such rotten shots.Couldn't hit the side of a barn at three paces with a shotgun. Apart from the main characters, who would sleep around a huge fire in hostile Indian territory? Need I tell you what happened? Who would surrender to a bunch of murderers? Can you guess what happened? Who would wait for seven men to ride in to town to rescue an outlaw? I could go on and on. In a nutshell, I couldn't believe that people could be so stupid.Without giving too much of the story away,Granny would have done a better job! bfbfbfbfbf

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
3:10 was a duster in the true sense of the word, incredible odds and good vs. evil thing, don't forget this was a remake of a 1957 film and in those days the audience didn't critique too much.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #524 on: February 07, 2008, 03:00:36 AM »
And, to rain a bit on Westerns, the lack of accuracy with guns in this movie was more realistic than most Westerns. Guns back then were not the most accurate, people did not practise strenously for months to be good with them. Most famous gunslingers were not notorious for their accuracy but for their indifference to the law. Lots of people carried guns, very few ever drew them on other people. Doc Holliday, a name synonomous with gunplay, was, according to most sources, a pretty good shot, the few minutes of the month where he was sober. He also had no qualms about staggering into a saloon and wildly shooting up the place, not really hitting anyone, but whoever he was mad at got the message.
As for who waits for seven men to ride in and rescue an outlaw? Well, it's not exactly Washington it takes place in. The loose law enforcement structure of the wild west was incredibly lacklustre. A sheriff had to rely on the possee commitatus rule brought over from Europe and most people did not like to follow it. He could swear in deputies, but he could not force them to do anything. The Pinkerton detectives could not do much. There was a reason why all those famous outlaws primarily operated in dusty cowtowns and feldgeling cities, preferably close to the Mexican border.
Having read more than I care to divulge on the outlaws of the Old West, contemporary law enforcement and such, I found this movie to be, unlike most Westerns, in possession of a refreshing realistic element.
I agree with the bonfire thing though.