Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1245 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
We saw Avatar weeks ago and surprisingly it was easy to get tickets for the IMAX. Not great seats, but not bad for 2 hours before show time.

Technically, the movie was great. But story line, I liked the Walt Disney version better, though they called it Pocahontas
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1246 on: February 23, 2010, 04:13:11 AM »
Mel Gibson thriller "Edge of Darkness"

I didn't really like the name. Made me think of a horror movie.

A better name for this movie would have been "Piece of Crap" then I would have had a better idea what kind of movie this was.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1247 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »
Mel Gibson thriller "Edge of Darkness"

I didn't really like the name. Made me think of a horror movie.

A better name for this movie would have been "Piece of Crap" then I would have had a better idea what kind of movie this was.

the bbc tv show is excellent

i'm assuming the film will be crap since it is by mel gibson

« Reply #1248 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:32 AM »
Finally saw the end of Reign On Me.  I really enjoyed it.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1249 on: February 23, 2010, 05:48:19 AM »

i'm assuming the film will be crap since it is by mel gibson

He was just acting in this one - Boston Irish cop   kkkkkkkkkk

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1250 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:01 AM »
Oh, I'm on a roll tonight. Piece of Crap 2, otherwise known as.....

Legion

"Why is God angry mommy?"

"I don't know. I guess he got tired of all the bullshit."

A-Train

« Reply #1251 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:51 PM »
Prognostications, anyone?

Best Pic: Hurt Locker
Best Dir: Kathryn Bigelow
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
Best Sup Actor: Cristoph Waltz
Best Sup Actress: Mo'Nique
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1252 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »
Watched a few films recently.  Mostly crap.

Alice in Wonderland: crap.
Ninja assassin: crap.
The Wolfman: uber crap.
Cop Out: crap.
The Green Zone: better than crap, a decent tough guy movie with an ordinary ending.
The Hurt Locker: better than the Green Zone.
New Moon: sue me, I liked it.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: I would have preferred it not to be, but it was crap too.
The Invention of Lying: not too bad, actually, except for being a little too obvious and by and large woefully not being the opportunity for some splendid satire it should have been.

But head and shoulders above all of these, we have

How To Train Your Dragon.  

A very nice animated movie.  I couldn't fully appreciate the animation because it was a cam copy, but the story is enjoyable.

A special mention here goes to From Paris With Love.  I didn't think it was actually possible to make a movie this shallow.  It has the depth of a slice of cardboard.

Also last night I watched Ponyo.  It's a beaut too.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1253 on: April 14, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »
Hmmm...I kind of liked Alice in Wonderland...especially the March Hare...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1254 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:42 PM »
Recently had another look at Sexy Beast (2000).  Great little movie.

Ray Winstone plays fear extremely well.  Ben Kingsley is hilarious.  But the scene stealer is Ian McShane.  His use of silence is terrifying.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #1255 on: April 16, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »
Ian McShane is apparently set to play Blackbeard in the next P.o.t.C. movie.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #1256 on: May 02, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
Repo Men

(To distinguish this from 1984's Repo Man, lets claim this 2010 movie can be subtitled Repossession Mambo.)

Awesome movie!  Not for small kids, nor the physically squeamish, nor anyone who has recently had surgery: the main characters repossess artificial body parts sold by a large company when recipients default on the loans that paid for the original surgery.  And I do wish I'd not watched the cam version, for this movie is at least in part about dark style and flash and it'll work so much better if you can see what's happening.  And the style and flash is all the more awesome for the intellectual substance this movie very nearly has.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Thai surgeons FTW!
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1257 on: May 05, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
I want to sue Hollywood...I estimate that being the wonderful person I am, my time is valuable and therefore Hollywood, as I see it, owes me a truck-load of dosh. Why is that, you might rightfully ask? Well, the answer is really simple. Last night I, having just returned from a delightful trip to Suzhou, decided to make a cup of ginger tea and watch my recently purchased copy of "Where The Wild Things Live"...after watching 45 minutes of it, I decided that I should watch something else as the only emotion the movie stirred in me was a desire for the monsters to devour the extremely annoying, pasry milksop child that they, for reasons I am at a loss to fathom, had befriended. Then, I tried to watch the re-make of "Clash of the Titans"...By the venerable beard of Zeus, that was an even greater mistake. The acting was stilted and unconvincing, the story was amazingly stupi and, if anything, this movie should have been entitled "How To Spend A Quadrillion Dollars In the Effort To Completely Mangle Greek Mythology"...The Kraken is the minion of Hades and it defeated the Titans in the Valley of Stygian??  Zeus asks Perseus to become an Olympian just because he is his son, as if there is a shortage of children being the result of lusty liasons between gods and mortals in Ancient Greece?? Even my dog would be able to explain that, should one read the legends of Ancient Greece, one would rapidly reach the rational conclusion that you couldn't throw a stone in Greece at that time without hitting a son or daughter of a God. Why are the Olympian Gods dressed in Medieval plate-mail armour?? The legend of Perseus is not good enough, so we have to introduce a roving band of Djinn??? How the hell did a Djinn make it into a movie set in Ancient Greece?? Obviously, Greek mythology does not have enough of its own supernatural entities, so it is necessary to import some.
To anyone who watched this movie and enjoyed it, I recommend reading the works of Bulfinch and that of Graves and then watch it again. Or just watch the original instead. Still a silly story but Harry Harryhausen's effects make up for that.
"Clash of the Titans" was an unmitigated, unpardonable piece of amateurish crap. If one day you should have an couple of spare hours and do not know what to do and you find yourself torn between watching this movie or deliberately placing yourself between a mommy grizzly bear and her cub whilst waving a stick menacingly around the vicinity of said cubs head, I recommend the latter choice. It will actually be less painful than the former choice.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1258 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Ok so I'm probably the last person in the world to have seen Avatar, but I quite liked it.

Sometimes I just like to get "lost" in movies... i dont care about disecting them.

I also saw Mao's Last Dancer. Good. But the book was a thousand times better. If anyone ever asks, I'd direct them straight to the book. bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Dex

« Reply #1259 on: May 09, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »
Sexy Beast is probably my fave flick of all time! Ben Kingsley is beyond talent!!!

Chinese-wise, just watched 'jia fang yi fang' - oldish comedy about a company that makes dreams come true... by acting out the customer's wish for the day. Good.
Train + China + Spring Festival = Torture