George

• My view of China
Re: Can anyone actually recommend a school
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
Email?
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:39 PM »
Uh...Kushal, you don't have PM yet. A bit more posting will fix that...
Lotus's uni seems better than most here, too...I gather chances are good that they really truly won't consider you without a Masters, but Lotus will know more.

Ok thanks. I am more than happy to be posting on this forum.
        By the way, Lotus Eater, thanks for all the info.As you said I might give it a whirl & see what happens next.
                              bfbfbfbfbf

A-Train

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »
"I would recommend my uni if you have a Masters."

Lotus, I browsed at your web site and it looks pretty cold there.  How long does the really cold stuff hang around and how much snow do you get?  I spent last winter in northern Alberta, Canada and have vowed to live a frost-free existence.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
A-Train, It's a little difficult to understand where it's cold here. Looking at the seasonal temperatures means very little and moving south (unless it's far south) doesn't mean much either.

Where I live the temperature never drops much below 0C and there is no snow but it's cold. It feels really cold because there is very little heating and no central heating. If you get cold you can't get warm again. No stores, schools, homes, offices any buildings outside of good hotels are warm. After being out, when I come home I must put on more clothes to lounge around the house keeping a heavy coat on. The buildings here are concrete and just whisk heat away. Summer temps run over 40C so the buildings are built with summer in mind.

If you are worried about feeling cold, look at the far south like Guangdong or north of the Yangzi river where as Lotus said they have indoor heating. It's a little like wind chill. It doesn't really matter what the temperatures are, it's how cold do you feel.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
And we are north of the Yangzi, so your apartment will have central heating, as will your classrooms.  A bonus.

bibibibibi

Not every University in Xi'an with classroom "heating" actually has effective heating. Just because a school has it, doesn't mean you won't freeze. PM me and I'll put you into contact with people who can verify my claim. Lotus has the perfect school. it's lake Woebegone. Sounds swell. However, like any city, not every school in Xi'an is the same.

This is China, where stores have coolers they keep drinks in but never use them. Same applies to heaters in classrooms. It varies from school to school.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:37:42 PM by Spaghetti »
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

George

• My view of China
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 01:33:31 PM »
where stores have coolers they keep drinks in but never use them.
They do keep the drinks in their coolers! But rarely, if ever, switch them on!! bibibibibi bibibibibi

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
The coolers are used to keep the beer from getting as cold as the room you are eating in  ahahahahah ahahahahah

However, my University in Dalian also has heated classrooms and air conditioners for the summer.  I usually teach in a t-shirt in the winter  akakakakak akakakakak

We got 3 snow storms this winter.  Maybe a total of 5 cm (2 inches) in total. Snow lasted maybe 1 day, if that, each time.

I have worked south of the Yellow River and I never will again.  I was never so cold in my life, and I have lived in Calgary with -40 before wind chill.  Outside cold can be remedied with a good coat and hat.  Inside cold is almost impossible to live with (in my opinion).  
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
Yes. There is nothing worse than coming in from the cold outdoors and having to put on extra layers to get warm in your apartment.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
Yes. There is nothing worse than coming in from the cold outdoors and having to put on extra layers to get warm in your apartment.

Although finding company to keep the bed warm can be pretty easy.  afafafafaf

George

• My view of China
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 01:13:55 AM »
Very true, Stil.....but going to bed fully dressed is a tad turn-offish.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 01:17:44 AM »
where stores have coolers they keep drinks in but never use them.
They do keep the drinks in their coolers! But rarely, if ever, switch them on!! bibibibibi bibibibibi

Yeah George. I meant, "don't use them," as in, "don't turn them on." Otherwise they're mostly fancy cabinets holding warm drinks.

"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 01:19:06 AM »
Although finding company to keep the bed warm can be pretty easy.  afafafafaf

Like a Tonton in The Empire Strikes Back, or like Kay Parker and making the beast with two backs? mmmmmmmmmm
Haruki Murakami

A-Train

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
Well, I'm glad we stumbled on to this topic because I've just had it with winters here.  Last year we had over nine feet...the second snowiest in state history.  This year was not much better.  At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I agree with the poster who said that there's not much worse than coming inside and finding it colder than outside.  That would send me straight to the airport or the gun shop.

"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

paddyfields

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 03:12:43 AM »
I will second "Ericthered" with regard to our school in Lin'An. agagagagag It is quite likely I will sign up on the dotted line for another year here when current contract ends.

Schnerby

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 04:29:27 AM »
I will second "Ericthered" with regard to our school in Lin'An. agagagagag It is quite likely I will sign up on the dotted line for another year here when current contract ends.

"our" school in Lin'an?

You didn't drag another one in here, did you ETR?
 ahahahahah