Whats the best internet service provider in Suzhou

• 18 replies
Whats the best internet service provider in Suzhou
« on: June 29, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Hiya

I am moving into my new apartment tomorrow in SIP.  Can anyone recommend a good ISP to get and send me the telephone number.

Thanks

Re: Whats the best internet service provider in Suzhou
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »
CNC is more reliable in China. They provide normal and faster internet speed. And you pay along with your telephone bill. Unless your landline isn't from CNC... I have a wireless modem running on my *1G* (that's what the faster speed in Chinese is called) connection and it works perfectly even with few computers working on it simultaneously.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:34:29 PM »
I dont really want a landline though.  I just want direct internet access.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
My broadband internet when I lived in the Dong Gang- the only time I ever lived in the SIP- came from the neighborhood cable company, and it was fine.

In the old city of Suzhou, unfortunately, China Telecom apparently has a monopoly on internet access, so it's their way or the highway. But the SIP and SND offer more options for access.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
Excellent, I will look into it more tomorrow when I move in, I am sure there will be telephone numbers plastered all over the walls.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 06:59:46 PM »
Just ask which company your cable TV comes from. Calling them would be a great place to start...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
Apparently the only service provider in my area is the telephone company and its something like 300rmb to set up and then 108rmb a month for 8 hours a day.  Does that sound right to anyone.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:24:06 AM »
Way overpriced. My Internet costs 600 per year....unlimited!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »
Another reason to live on campus - free 24/7 broadband.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:57 AM »
Apparently the only service provider in my area is the telephone company and its something like 300rmb to set up and then 108rmb a month for 8 hours a day.  Does that sound right to anyone.

Nope.  Seems overpriced and under-serviced.  Unfortunately I forget what I used to pay in Suzhou.  But what George said feels like what I used to have.  I was in the city centre using China Telecom, bought a telephone number (pay as you go if you use it for calls) and through that phone line got the internet, 24-hour access.

For what it's worth, where I am now--not Suzhou--I pay 700 per year for 24-hour broadband, unlimited downloads.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
My husband uses China Telecom. He doesn't have a house number and also pays every 3-6 months and may have paid around 100RMB for the set up. CNC should have better deals on unlimited ADSL though. Set up or rather modem + setup with them always costs money.And usually it is the landlord who has to organize the set up for you. 

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:29:16 PM »
Of course, the topic at hand here is, uh...Suzhou. Not other cities. Suzhou.

Where, sadly, in some areas you just don't have many choices for net access.
I have great high-speed, flat-monthly-price access at a very reasonable cost. But I live between the Grand Canal and Dong Huan Road, so I'm not sure who (if anyone) has jurisdiction there...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Of course, the topic at hand here is, uh...Suzhou. Not other cities. Suzhou.

Seems like a good question to get opinions from those of us who live in the real world!
Which, of course, is most of us! afafafafaf uuuuuuuuuu

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »
If that real world info has any bearing on what could be reasonably expected in Suzhou, you're absolutely right.

If it's totally unrelated to what might be expected in Suzhou, then...well...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:17 PM »
The wanker is back! agagagagag agagagagag