E-dictionaries

• 3 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
E-dictionaries
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:57:43 PM »
Somewhere back in the mists of time we had a thread on this, but I can't find it. So ...

My trusty kuai yi tong died a couple of weeks ago and although I had another one, it didn't do what I really wanted, so this week, I bought myself a new one.

A Besta T-8000.  I am having a ball with it.  It does everything I loved best about my last one - handwriting capacity, voice production.  But it has a ton of other stuff that is good.  This one has pinyin output as well as input, character writing practice, 10 language dictionary, MP3 function, recording function to compare your own pronunciation, video upload, e-book upload capacity, and a whole lot more both in language learning functions as well as personal organiser stuff.

It doesn't come with an English manual, and so far I haven't been able to find one on line, but it does have an English help function which tells you basically what to do. (And why else do I teach English to students who are going to work as scientific translators??)

If you are looking for a good e-dic, I'd recommend this one - a bit pricey 2000Y+ even with my discount card at the Beijing Foreign Languages Bookshop - but worth it for helping with studying, and travelling.

Now all I have to do is teach it how to do the washing up and I'll be set.

Monkey King

Re: E-dictionaries
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Timely, as I have been thinking about getting an e-dictionary recently.

How big is it?  Pocket sized?  And when you say 'Mp3' function, does that mean I can upload stuff to it from my computer (e.g. Chinesepod lessons) and listen to them via headphones?

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »
I've been using Plecodict on a PocketPC (HTC Touch) for the past 2.5 years - after seeing it in action at Nolefan's bootcamp. It's easy to use and very useful for both English/Chinese, Chinese/English, hanzi & pinyin.

It has all the stuff Lotus mentioned (except for the pronunciation) and the PocketPC does MP3/4, camera, internet browsing, email, games, gps and a phone.

I like just being able to carry one small bit of gear that does everything. It's got a 2Gb microSD and I've got a heap of Pimsleur/Chinese Pod lessons on there. The Internet access is also useful for being able to access on-line translators & other language resources on the fly.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

Shroomy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
So, I'm headed to Beijing for a couple days, or could buy locally.  I really need a E dictionary, I don't know anything but meiyou and bu yao (don't want).  Is there a cheaper model that will give me the pinyin output and just translate to English?  Anyone else have a favorite?
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
Suitcoat pocket rather than shirt pocket sized.  Yes, it can upload from your computer and comes with earphones. Also has capacity for an SD card, which I haven't got round to buying yet - need the finances to recover and there is stuff I want for my camera first!

Lots and lots of cheaper models around that will give you what you are looking for, Shroomy.  It might be easiest if you had a look at what your students are using and see which one of those you like.

My smaller one was maybe 2-300Y (can't remember) but it has pinyin in- and out-put, English (not Chinese) voice function, and easy translation to English.  The majority of them do this.