I'm tired of all the political correctness!

• 33 replies

babala

I'm tired of all the political correctness!
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:18:04 PM »
I recently received an e-mail from my high school alum about a group wanting to change the name and logo of our school team. We were and are (for now) the West Hill Warriors. The logo can be seen here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32259658994&ref=mf My high school is in Toronto and the student population is definately made up of many different racial backgrounds.

We were always proud to a be a "Warrior". It was a great name and a big part of the school's history. It was not students who complained or started this action, it was a few teachers who decided that it was wrong. I could even understand if they wanted to simply change the logo which does portray an ancient Native American. Although I do wonder if Italians get upset at the sight of gladiators  bibibibibi

It seems that we get so caught up in worrying about not offending people, we are losing our history and frankly I think some people seem to be able to get offended by anything these days.

In Canada we can't even wish people a "Merry Christmas" in case they get offended. I think this politically correct trend has gone too far!
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: I'm tired of all the political correctness!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
So what are they wanting to change it to?
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
Probably some animal. Watch out folks, the West Hill Poodles are here to kick some ass  uuuuuuuuuu
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »
dont worry - the matchup will be with the York terriers. Poodles will rule. bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »
No name referring to any group of humans, living, dead, or extinct may be used, since this will automatically be considered to be some form of racism or stereotyping.  Even an occupation could be considered to be discriminatory, both by members of that profession as well as those that are not in that profession.

Animal names must not be used.  To rename your team the poodles would be an obvious reference to the abusive practice of forcing innocent animals to fight each other.

Since sports have winners and losers, scoring must be removed to avoid hurt feelings.  Also, most competitive sports are just substitutes for warfare, so sports will now involve events which are entirely non-competitive.  The concept of teams is exclusionary to non-team members, so from now on, all faculty, staff, students, alumni, and guests are to be included in the non-competitive, non-scored sports.

Upon closer examination the West Hill name also has to be changed.  Undoubtedly, there's someone living to the east of that location who would feel excluded by the term "West" in the name.  Those not living on a hill could easily perceive the word "Hill" to be discriminatory against those who's living space is disadvantaged by lack of altitude.  To keep either of those now forbidden words risks offending the sensibilities of others.

Your school can now be knows as the Omni-directional, Variable-altitude Friendly and All-inclusive Vegetations.  Everyone present is invited to participate in today's sporting event - laying on the ground, looking up at clouds, and imagining a better world were everyone is happy all the time.  Cloud interpreters will be on hand to help those who are visually impaired.  Imagination assistants will be available for those needing assistance.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

babala

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »

bkbkbkbkbk

That made me laugh out loud!

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
E-mail that message to the school.  I think maybe the message could be a reality check for some of them.  agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 05:31:42 AM »
... I think this politically correct trend has gone too far!

That's an understatement.

At one point, working in a computer shop, I had some twit get offended by the terms "male" and "female" connectors on cables.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
... I think this politically correct trend has gone too far!

That's an understatement.

At one point, working in a computer shop, I had some twit get offended by the terms "male" and "female" connectors on cables.

Assigning gender roles to connectors limits their freedom to connect when, where, and with whomever they choose.  This could lead to discrimination against connectors that decide they would like to connect in non-traditional ways.  Even referring to them as "connectors" severely limits their career choices.  They should be properly addressed as assemblages of matter that have enhanced potential to connect in a wide variety of ways if they desire to do so.
EscapedLunatic.com

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »

Your school can now be knows as the Omni-directional, Variable-altitude Friendly and All-inclusive Vegetations.  Everyone present is invited to participate in today's sporting event - laying on the ground, looking up at clouds, and imagining a better world were everyone is happy all the time.  Cloud interpreters will be on hand to help those who are visually impaired.  Imagination assistants will be available for those needing assistance.

On behalf of the warm and cold blooded sentient beings I must protest our exclusion!  gggggggggg kkkkkkkkkk

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:38 PM »
Since warm and cold blooded life forms have often been abused in sports situations, both in names and in deeds, our open membership group cannot be named after such life forms.  Please note that all life forms as well as inanimate objects are welcome to be members.
EscapedLunatic.com

Schnerby

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 02:20:54 AM »
Do you know what the problem with 'Warriors' is? I may be missing the obvious, but is it a reference to indigenous people (whatever they are called in the region you are from)?

babala

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »
From Dictionary.com

6 dictionary results for: warrior
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
war·ri·or /ˈwɔriər, ˈwɔryər, ˈwɒriər, ˈwɒryər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier. 
2. a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics. 

Nothing in there about Native people or culture kkkkkkkkkk

Schnerby

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
So the point is, there is nothing wrong with the name so why change it?

(Sorry, little bit slow today  bibibibibi)

They should run a competition to find the most offensive name possible. It would have to offend the greatest number of people and then the team would be called that.

Sir Fudge Loving

• I got your back...
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
Change the Warriors to the Packers. It could generate enthusiam in the bleachers and win the hearts and souls and anything else from the fans.  afafafafaf
Are you packin'?