Wireless Router

• 11 replies
Wireless Router
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
I have no router. My internet comes out of the wall. I plug a network cable into my computer and into the socket in the wall, and away we go. The connection requires a username and password. And this has all been fine, but I have wireless devices now--mah phone--and I want to use them without having to skulk around the neighbourhood searching for free wifi.

So... what's a good wireless router?

What I really want is just to plug a router into the wall, and my computer into the router. The computer would stay wired, but I'd have wireless as well for my phone. Is that possible? What's a good router for that purpose? I'd like something I can operate, so either it has English or I can download firmware or something to make it English....

Any recommendations?

when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:38 AM »
The journey begins. I purchased a D-Link DIR-605 (Wireless N 300). Though it was unopened, it is without the supplied ethernet cable. Thankyou Walmart. Meanwhile, I am pretending that the China-only DIR-605 will be the same as the everywhere else-available DIR-605L and therefore I can haz a user manual downloaded in English. The journey continues tomorrow with the purchase of some cable. (The ancient Cat-5's I had as spares no longer function.)

CWL

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »
I have the D-Link 600.  Overall, it is ok and functional.  Every now and then I have to unplug and let it set a minute or two before plugging it in and restarting my system.

elzoog

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
I recently bought a wireless router.  Because the username and password are stored in the wireless router instead of the Windows program I can now connect using linux.  Mine is a Fast 11N FWR310 router.  Seems to work fine so far.  Unlike you, I bought mine at the electronics market across the street from Walmart in this city (Anyang).  The guy that sold it to me threw in a small ethernet cable for free.  Not only that, but he went ahead and explained how to set it up BEFORE I had finally decided to buy it.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
I've got a D-Link and a TP-Link.  Judging by the wireless signals I detect in the neighborhood, TP-Link is the most popular brand in the village.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
Is your computer a laptop that actually has wireless but you just aren't using it to connect to the internet currently?

Just use this instead:
http://www.connectify.me/

(You wouldn't really need any additional software in most cases to setup an ad-hoc connection, but this simplifies the process for some users.)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
^ ah, interesting. Yeah, my internet connected computer is a wifi capable laptop. I shall---

oh, it seems Connectify and Comodo Firewall are not friends. The Connectify install procedure tells me Comodo must be disabled before Connectify can access the internet connection. Hmmmm, ever since Zonealarm started sucking balls, Comodo has been my firewall.

In other news, I bought an ethernet cable...

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »
Welcome to Woot Town! For I am en-wirelessed.

And it's English Language Woot Town too. I don't know if this works for all D-Links, but it does for the DIR-605. So, presuming you have found your way into the router web interface, and can find your way to this screen, then that button right at the bottom, when pressed, instructs the router to clear any language packs. This leaves the router with, I guess, the factory set language, namely, English. Tip discovered heyah. And what (I believe) that guy's step 2 means is: "【Maintenance】 →【Save and Restore Settings】, press 【Clear Language Pack】"

Worked for me, anyway.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »
I haven't used it in a long time, but Windows has something that once upon a time was called Internet Connection Sharing so that a Windows machine can be used as a sort of router by other devices. Of course it compromises security even more, but most people are wide open anyway, so might save money or tech overheard this way.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
All I can tell you is, DO NOT buy a Tenda.

fox

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
depends on your needs.  ive used tenda units which usually die after about a year (modems and routers).  Currently i have two DDWRT routers because i need full veee peee en in my home. same at the school apartment.  but if you want just a bog standard wireless router then TP-Link does the job and is cheap you can get them for about 80rmb.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

BrandeX

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
Ive had the same TP wireless router for nearly 6 years, and it's still going.