Kindle alternatives

• 19 replies
Kindle alternatives
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
So after reading several threads about ereaders, and looking at some of the free books available online, I decided I just have to get one.

A kindle sounds great but I prefer to buy something from a store in the city where I live rather than buying online or having one sent here. I don't think I'd find a kindle in any store here. 

Has anyone bought an ereader in China? I assume most major brands would be available here and a lot of domestic brands but I really don't know what's good.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Kindle alternatives
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
Might I suggest you try Hong Kong.
There's much to be said for an English-language operating system, and HK tends to offer better prices and better quality electronics. I'll bet you could even find a Kindle there! bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
I would just get a Kindle ....

They're not that expensive (basic Kindles run around 500rmb), and unless there's some reason you just can't shop online, I don't see any reason to go with a 2nd rate knockoff.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
I have used Tabao with no problems at all to buy a real kindle....  I wanted to buy one but could not get it shipped here  but brought one here in China online... I did specify that I wanted to get one which just had the original Amazon software and none of the Chinese software that is often provided as an addition to the kindles sold here... and had no problems getting it and connecting and registering it on Amazon and using the normal Amazon free 3G/wireless to download books.
Sometimes it seems things go by too quickly. We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take the time to enjoy where we are. (Calvin and Hobbs)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
I also bought a real Kindle using Taobao- but because they were shipping them from Shanghai (where I lived at the time) I just bought it from them in person. My Kindle has both Chinese and English operating systems, but I have no trouble registering it or using the 3G Wireless to download books (although since the national holiday, it seems the free 3G browser is "not accessible in all countries" ffffffffff)

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:56 AM »
I don't live close enough to Hong Kong for it to be worth a shopping trip there, otherwise that would be a good option.

I had thought of buying a kindle off Taobao, but I don't have a credit card now which makes it a bit harder. I could get a Chinese friend to help me with that I suppose but I never really liked asking other people to help me out like that when I could just go in to some local place and pay cash.Also, if there is a problem with it I could take it back to the store easily.

The thing is, I have dozens of books already downloaded and stored on my laptop and I'm  downloading more every week.I'd be happy just doing it like this, download onto the laptop then transfer to the reader. Since I just need something to read them on - the download capabilities don't really concern me although if it worked it would be a bonus - it seems to me that there must be something out there that would do the job.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »
You don't need a credit card for Taobao. Just need to go to whatever bank you have and open up the Internet shop function on your UnionPay card, then Taobao is your smorgasboard. Install Calibre on your laptop, convert books to Mobi format and tada, you are set. I have just placed an order for the new Kindle Paperwhite and I can't wait for it to arrive. Someguy, your best option is a Kindle. They are cheap and unbelievably excellent.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:47:36 AM »
Yeah most of the Chinese e-readers are either Kindle knockoffs or really crappy. If you get internet banking set up with your Chinese bank card you will open up so many options for obtaining otherwise hard to find items. Think about it: when was the last time you saw a thread about "things I can't get in China"? Those sorts of problems have been made almost obsolete due to the existence of Taobao.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 02:45:32 AM »
The taobao / kindle route sounds like some good advice, I think I'm going to do that. Thanks for that guys  agagagagag

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »
My Kindle Fire is on it's way !  bhbhbhbhbh

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:47:36 AM »
Someguy, I thought a Kindle Fire was a Tablet alternative. Then again, I have never seen one. When it comes, please let us know how it feels to read on one. I am rather curious to know  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:16:49 AM »
The difference, from what I read and was told, is something called e ink which makes what you are reading look like you're reading off of paper.

I'm also curious to play with this new toy. I'll; let you know how it is.
 agagagagag

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 02:40:46 AM »
The e-ink I am familiar with (my Kindle sees lots of milage) but does a Kindle Fire have it? I am sure you will enjoy it  agagagagag agagagagag

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »
I think the Kindle fire does not have e-ink, but it is still a pretty awesome device. I know people who have them and love them!

Let me know if you want to know where to get really cheap e-books on Taobao. Not terribly legal but in China our options are more limited.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
I get my books from Pirate Bay and keep the 3G switched off since it's illegal