How to download or stream free: movies/TV/music?

• 20 replies

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
How to download or stream free: movies/TV/music?
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
With the demise of Limewire, it seems impossible to find free movies, TV and music. Every site I find may indeed offer free downloads... but only after you pay for the service; or, they want your credit card information and promise not to charge it. I don't think so!  kkkkkkkkkk

I have no English channels on my university hotel TV... not even CCTV 9. All my music was on Limewire in Korea (the computer belonged to the Board of Education and I didn't copy the files).

How can I download stuff in China for free (I have a vee peeee ennnnnuh - astrillll); or, will I just have to break down, pretend part of my heritage is not Scottish, and pay?

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Borkya

Re: How to download or stream free: movies/TV/music?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
Do we need to disguise our answers here or can we say then straight out?

I'm gonna say it straight and then if u wanna change it up mods, feel free.

The best site I use the most is www.isohunt.com. No money or anything and you candownload a lot. The priate bay also has a bunch.

If you want to stream, Assssssss trill totally tricks Hulu as long as u have it set to america. i watch a lotta TV shows that way.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:26 PM »
Google torrents and learn how to use them (there's a fair bit of jargon but doing it is easy)

I use this client (The application that does the work) http://www.utorrent.com/

Here are some sites to get trackers

EZTV  http://eztv.it/   TV only but very good

Kickass Torrents   http://kat.ph/browse/  Various content

Demonoid   http://www.demonoid.me/  Various content Excellent!

Demonoid is a private but free site. You need a code to access. PM me if you want a code.

I also use 风行网 a lot because it has Chinese subtitles for all the shows    http://www.funshion.com/?ta=8&z=z1

This is not a torrent site and you need to download an app to use it but it's very good. It has a lot of TV shows and movies (no music). It's Chinese so streaming is fast and you don't need your wall climbing equipment. Although the site is all Chinese, it's searchable in English.

Some members here don't like 风行网 because they feel it may contain viruses. I've never had problems with it but I also don't use it on my main computer. I do all my torrenting etc on a separate computer used as a media centre attached to my TV.

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
I would put up a recommendation against the use of Pirate bay.

Some time ago it was sold to a commercial interest that does monitor the lines and stated they " want to make pirat bay legal" and the sheer size and popularity of it has attracted a lot of fake files and virus makers.

While torrents are slower than a direct download there is better availability and less spam link loops. There is no true anonimity even with the V thing, however the instituations are more interested in taking down the providers than those who download, however an occasional downloader is nabbed and then slapped with a disproportionalty large punishment in order to make an example of them.
Still standing

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:32:13 AM »
I've been using Pirate Bay for years and I would disagree with eggcluck, I have absolutely no fear of it at all. I use uTorrent to get files through Demonoid or Pirate bay and can get anything I want pretty much quickly.
It's also worth investing in Astrill because you can get access to Hulu and Iplayer and watch most of what has been on TV in the US and UK that week

Ironically I think being in China probably protects me from this form of persecution much more than any of the rich countries could/would

BrandeX

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »
agreed about PB. As per Demonoid, anyone can use it. log out and try, it still works. It's a common misconception that it is a private tracker. Accounts are needed to post comments, upload, and access the forum only. I primarily use Demonoid, TPB, or KAT.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
Thanks people!

I knew nothing about torrents because never dowloaded movies or TV before. In Korea, I only used Limewire for music because I had CJ digital cable TV which gave me better English-language TV channels than in Canada!... like BBC Knowlege.

Torrents are very confusing at first (and still are to degree). However, after a lot of experimenting, it seems uTorrent in combination with isoHunt works great... I now have a movie, and episode of Family Guy and the entire season 14 of Top Gear downloaded and ready to watch.

I'm living in the uni hotel until my apartment is ready on the 23rd; and currently using my laptop. The uni has a brand new, Lenovo desktop for me (I already took the HP LaserJet printer) and a new, thin, 40-inch flat-screen Chinese TV (don't know the brand or anything about it - just saw one still in the box) when I move to the apartment. I like the idea of hooking them together to make a 'media centre' (and keep any possible viruses off my laptop). I dont know how to do it, or if it's possible... I'll look into it. If I could download stuff on the computer and watch it on the TV, that would be fantastic!
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
I use a program called Vuze.(Google it)It lets you search for the program you are looking for then will download it for you as a torrent. Simple and easy.  bfbfbfbfbf
i,m not crazy, my reality is just different to your's

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Thanks people!

I knew nothing about torrents because never dowloaded movies or TV before. In Korea, I only used Limewire for music because I had CJ digital cable TV which gave me better English-language TV channels than in Canada!... like BBC Knowlege.

Torrents are very confusing at first (and still are to degree). However, after a lot of experimenting, it seems uTorrent in combination with isoHunt works great... I now have a movie, and episode of Family Guy and the entire season 14 of Top Gear downloaded and ready to watch.

I'm living in the uni hotel until my apartment is ready on the 23rd; and currently using my laptop. The uni has a brand new, Lenovo desktop for me (I already took the HP LaserJet printer) and a new, thin, 40-inch flat-screen Chinese TV (don't know the brand or anything about it - just saw one still in the box) when I move to the apartment. I like the idea of hooking them together to make a 'media centre' (and keep any possible viruses off my laptop). I dont know how to do it, or if it's possible... I'll look into it. If I could download stuff on the computer and watch it on the TV, that would be fantastic!

With most modern TVs you can just plug a USB stick into the side of it and it will play the files like a computer would

I feel like I've been tricked again, the apartment my uni gave me has a 10 year old TV with a really old cable box. I also don't have a printer and have to go into the office to use theirs :?

Monkey King

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
Baidu's video channel can actually find you loads of stuff, but the trick is they remove most things with the English title but leave the things labelled only in Chinese.

http://video.baidu.com

Find out the Chinese name (in characters) of whatever you are looking for and give it a go - they have movies and entire seasons of stuff on Tudou, Youku etc, just only  under the Chinese name, e.g. all of 'Walking Dead' (行尸走肉 / xíng shī zǒu ròu) so far is on there.

Also useful for searching:

第一季 dì yī jì (season one)

第二季 dì èr jì (season two, etc)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:25:27 PM by MK »

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
I find that isohunt and piratebay are both blocked, are these sites blocked by the great firewall or is it just me. I use a veepeennn but that blocks access to torrent sites.

BrandeX

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:45 AM »
Just use a random http proxy or similar. No need to pay for any type of "services" to access content while in China.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:10:16 PM by BrandeX »

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
torrent sites are blocked but torrents work ok

astrill really is the way to the stars is all i can say

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
regarding pr*xy - using search engines, all results are blocked. spent some hours trying to find a working one in the past but did not succeed so went back to veepeennn. what is best way to get pr*xy?

BrandeX

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »