Google Out?

• 15 replies

old34

Google Out?
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
Haven't been able to connect to any Google services (search, Picassa, Docs) for a few hours. Gmail isn't connecting either, neither through the Interweb nor my email program.

I'm in Zhejiang. Is it the same in your neck of the Chinese woods?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

George

• My view of China
Re: Google Out?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
Fine in Shandong. I been googling all morning.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

old34

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »
I can't even get to it through Tor. Strange.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »
Old34, did you try clearing out your browser cache and visiting the sites again?
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

old34

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
It's not a cache problem. I don't use that POS aka IE.

It's not connecting at all. I use Opera and I can see it trying to connect. Then I get a "Connection Closed by Remote Server" message.

In my separate email program (AppleMail), it just doesn't connect to gmail at all. My other email addresses connect just fine.

technolust

• Banana
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
Gmail and search are working fine here in Beilun, Ningbo, Zhejiang. Pics mostly come up as the dreaded red x though. Does that almost every time for me.
Working for the man, so you don't have to!

George

• My view of China
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »
Pics mostly come up as the dreaded red x though
ahahahahah ahahahahah We know the pics you mean!!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

old34

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »
I'm at a cafe now on Wifi and Google is working fine. Must be a problem with the university network at my apartment, although everything else was working fine.

The school network does have its idosynchrocies. I-Tunes Store, for example, can't connect from there although I can connect to it if I use Tor on the ethernet connection. But in this case, even Tor wasn't getting to Google. As I said, strange.

fox

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:59:33 PM »
struggled to use it this morning for  few hours but ok now. Something was definitely blocking it.
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »
It's not a cache problem. I don't use that POS aka IE.

MSIE isn't the only browser with a cache.  bibibibibi

Nevermind.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

old34

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 01:27:39 AM »
I'm aware of that.

I use Opera and because it's fast and easily configurable, I have it set never to fetch content from the cache and fetch images from the cache only if they are less than 5 hours old. In other words, when I hit a page, I get a fresh redraw of the content (text) every time. Thus no need to ever flush the cache and I don't get day old webpages like I often see on machines using IE (ie. 99% of the machines Chinese use).

Actually, I use Opera's cache for other purposes such as copying out and saving streamed mp3s and video content (eg Youtube). I wrote about how to do that elsewhere in another thread.

I really, REALLY wish we had a separate room here where we could discuss technology issues like computers, phones, cameras, etc. I've made the suggestion numerous times in the past to no avail. Lots of the good stuff is buried under hundreds of pages of the Happy/Sad/Both trilogy. 

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »
That "room" idea sounds like a good one, Old34. Maybe a "child board" like the location specific one? I would enjoy reading some tech talk.
Haruki Murakami

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:20:02 AM »
That "room" idea sounds like a good one, Old34. Maybe a "child board" like the location specific one? I would enjoy reading some tech talk.

there was never enough people to fill a "tech board" before but it is under consideration right now... I wouldn't mind having a place for us geeks to fool around and compare notes.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

old34

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »
I wouldn't mind having a place for us geeks to fool around and compare notes.

Call it "Gear and Gadgets for Geeks" or sth like that.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
actually a good idea, as there seems to be enough of you 'geek' types that you can provide great advice to those of us who are professional users of this box but haven't got5 a clue about what we are doing beyond typing in a web page address and hope it works that you do provide some pretty useful advice to us as well. We may not provide much in the way of input but our output might improve. agagagagag agagagagag