Technology and China

• 2 replies
Technology and China
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:51 PM »
Hello

I'm hoping to come to China soon and would like to sort out my technology stuff in advance:

First, I have a Samsung android phone which I purchased in South Korea - will I be able to use it in China?  How can I check?

Secondly, what software should I look at for my laptop? Common sense suggests that I should deal with this before leaving for China, I currently run a VPN, in South Korea to access Netflix. Is there anything else I should look at?

Thirdly, I am a huge reader but due to the rather unreasonable demands by airlines that books are counted as non-essential and are terefore counted a part of my luggage, I've invested in a nook - will it need its own software?

Thanks everyone,

Re: Technology and China
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:50 PM »
Hello

I'm hoping to come to China soon and would like to sort out my technology stuff in advance:

First, I have a Samsung android phone which I purchased in South Korea - will I be able to use it in China?  How can I check?

It should do. What's the make and model? Is it "locked"? For calls and sms, my amatuer guess is any gsm phone would work. (GSM phones use SIM cards, and buying such a card in China is easy.) Mobile data is another question entirely. Some of the mobile service providers (like the biggest one, China Mobile) have China-specific 3G/4G. Some use an international standard.

Secondly, what software should I look at for my laptop? Common sense suggests that I should deal with this before leaving for China, I currently run a Very Passable Nicety, in South Korea to access Netflix. Is there anything else I should look at?

That's a big question. Depends a lot on what you want to do with your laptop. I'd guess if you have a functioning Very Passable Nicety, then anything else you need can be set up at some later date. Unless, for instance, the thing you need has some security measure that rejects Very Passable Nicety access.

Thirdly, I am a huge reader but due to the rather unreasonable demands by airlines that books are counted as non-essential and are terefore counted a part of my luggage, I've invested in a nook - will it need its own software?

Dunno. I use a Kindle. There's an E-Book Readers thread here maybe with some answers (mostly about Kindles).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:52:58 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: Technology and China
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
use willmyphonework.com.

it tells you all about what models will work in China. hope that helps.