Taiyuan University of Technology, Shanxi

• 1 replies

Schnerby

Taiyuan University of Technology, Shanxi
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Hi!
Anyone heard anything about Taiyuan University of Technology, Shanxi. I hear they have a link with Sydney University so at least they're a semi-reputable university. Having saud that it doesn't tell us how they are as an employer.

Any experience of Taiyuan appreciated too. I understand it is mountainous and dry. There is only so much Lonely Planet can tell me though.
Thanks!!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Taiyuan University of Technology, Shanxi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »
Hey Schnerby,

I don't know this particular school, but some things I CAN tell you.

1) Don't assume a school is reputable because it has a foreign JV partner...even a well-known foreign JV partner. You'd be amazed how many foreign schools, even famous ones, become total sluts (or at least silent, out-of-the-loop check-cashers) when they partner with Chinese schools. Also, final decision-making will most likely come from the Chinese side...in the event of a dispute with the employer, don't count on the foreign school for any support.

2) It is my personal belief that Taiyuan, set firmly in the heart of China's picturesque and hygienic soft-coal-mining region, might just be the worst city of any size in China. It's ugly, dirty, massively polluted, cold, dry, isolated, boring, and provincial as hell. IMHO if they were going to give China an enema, the nozzle might well land in Taiyuan. Don't be taken in by website beauty shots. It is a very historic region, though, and visits to the historical sites might occupy several of your first few weekends in town.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Schnerby

Re: Taiyuan University of Technology, Shanxi
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »
Pretty...
I think I shall sick clear
ta