The VW Riceball

• 7 replies

old34

The VW Riceball
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
This is pretty cool. Who said Chinese students can't innovate?

http://gochengdoo.com/en/blog/item/2740/chengdu_designer_creates_hovering_vehicle_for_volkswagen

P.S. Watch the video.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

Re: The VW Riceball
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »
Wow. Cool concept, and obviously engineered well enough to impress the folks at VW.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
nice! the parents are awful cute  ahahahahah ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
That's wonderful! Way cool!!!
Looks like a good local site for Chengdu, too...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
It's hypothetically possible to build a hover car like this using electromagnetic repulsion if the streets contain enough diamagnetic material.  Obviously CGI'd or using wires in most/all of the outdoor shots since they showed it going on concrete overpasses (which would likely contain iron rebar would slam that thing into the pavement and lock it there until the magnets were turned off).  The initial indoor shot may have been real if the floor was plated with enough aluminum.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Obviously CGI'd or using wires...

No shit! The 'concept' is nothing new. At first, I was thinking 'What the Hell?... there are no electromagnets there... how could they power them without tracks or a special roadway?'

When Le Ja explained "Chengdu has a lot of unique minerals underground." I burst out laughing! Many people will read the article/watch the video and believe they have actually made a working prototype.

This explains a lot -
"Wang is studying animation design at the department of electronic information at the Chengdu Vocational College of Agricultural Science and Technology..."

The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
you mean its a fake? In China?? Maybe she gets it to fly the same way Santa's reindeer do.

old34

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
This explains a lot -
"Wang is studying animation design at the department of electronic information at the Chengdu Vocational College of Agricultural Science and Technology..."

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.