The Cook Book

• 274 replies

Schnerby

Re: The Cook Book
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
Whole wheat cereal.

This is something I simply cannot buy where I am. I am after a good, full-flavoured cereal that will give me the vitamins and other goodies that I'm after. I know, it is so easy to buy cereal in some places, and even if it's not, this is a hell of a lot of work for cereal. I'm just mad for wholegrain. When my folks come over they are bringing me half a suitcase full of wholegrain noodles. Anyway, on to the cooking.

Step 1
Somehow find whole wheat flour. Packaged stuff is ok, but not available where I am. Anyway, it's just not the same as freshly milled flour. I need to find a flour mill.

So, instead I go and find someone who has spread wheat out on the road and is seperating the chaff. I buy a big bag full of the wheat berries and take them home. Yesterday they woman gave it to me for free.  bfbfbfbfbf Sometimes my neighbours come with me as they are equally keen on whole wheat.

Step 2
Sort out the husks and grind the berries into flour using a blender. I don't have a blender, so I send the wheat upstairs to my neigbour to take care of that step. It comes back to me ground up.

Step 3
I sift the flour through a sieve. The bits that are too coarse get bashed about with a mortar and pestle. If I'm feeling lazy I send them back upstairs for blending.

Step 4
Mix the flour with some honey, cinnamon and water. It should just come together. Oil a tray for the toaster oven (or a real oven, if you somehow have one) and spread a thin layer of the mixture over it. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edge starts to brown. Now break the mixture up into flakes and bake until crunchy.

Step 5
Allow the flakes to cool and then put them in an airtight container. I eat it with soymilk or the liquid from stewed fruit and some bananas.

After eating this I feel so well nourished!  bjbjbjbjbj

George

• My view of China
« Reply #226 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »
I buy a big bag full of the wheat berries and take them home.
ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

half a suitcase full of wholegrain noodles.

Shouldn't that be wholeberry noodles???  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Sorry, Schnerbs, but I fomc and roflmao!

The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Schnerby

« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2009, 02:43:55 PM »
Nope, the whole grains of wheat minus the husk are called wheat berries.

Glad you got a giggle out of it though.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #228 on: August 17, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »
 mmmmmmmmmm In my entire life, I have never heard of wheatberries!   Ears, kernels, grains, yes, but berries? Never!

Schnerby

« Reply #229 on: August 17, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Welcome to the world of odd people who insit on making their own flour!  bjbjbjbjbj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_berry

« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2009, 09:44:49 AM »
flour good - helps to find the wet spot. (sorry ladies) but as someone from wheat country we have to find good uses for our product. bibibibibi

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #231 on: August 22, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
Nice recipes lately.
And probably every bit as good (and maybe even better!) with just plain old chocolate (vegan chocolate or carob, my ass cccccccccc ), ordinary fresh soft tofu, and wheat flour from the grocery or fresh-noodle shop.

Sheesh. bibibibibi
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Schnerby

« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:43 AM »
Whole wheat flour. How I lust after whole wheat flour.

Trust me, if it was available, I would buy it.

« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »
I have seen whole wheat flour in Carrefour in Hangzhou.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Schnerby

« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
How soon can I get to Hangzhou?  ahahahahah

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »
Xi'an has a Carrefour - no idea if it has that flour, but worth a try!

Schnerby

« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
Carrefour is on the to do list  ahahahahah

Xi'an in 3 days.

AMonk

« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2009, 04:54:32 AM »
OK.  This recipe is Daddy-approved by my own, very finicky, Enjoyer-of-Pound-Cake father.

FRESH LEMON POUND CAKE

1 cup Butter (softened)
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Flour
5 Eggs (slightly beaten)
Juice + Zest of 1 Lemon

Preheat oven to 350*F
Grease and flour tube/funnel/Bundt pan

Cream Butter + Sugar
Alternately, add Eggs + Flour
Add lemon Juice + Zest.

Bake 55 minutes.  Let cool down before removing from pan onto plate.  Can serve it "as is" or with glaze/icing dribbled over it.  Excellent with ice cream and a "nice cuppa" ahahahahah

LEMON GLAZE

1 Lemon
1 cup Powdered Sugar

Grate/zest Lemon into bowl.

Juice the Lemon over measured cup.  
Add enough liquid (lemon juice/lemon liquer/water/lemonade/lemon soda) to make 1/4 cup.

Sift Powdered Sugar into bowl with zest.
Stir in liquid.  Combine completely.

Drizzle over cake (or cookies or donuts).

Edit ** Sunday.....Daddy wants some more, Please akakakakak (and he wants "a bigger piece this time") ahahahahah
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:47:03 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...

Schnerby

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
Peanut butter cookies for the ingredient challenged...

1 cup peanut butter (any kind)
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg

Mix, put on a tray, put in your little toaster oven and hope for the best. Yummy!

You can add some butter instead of some of the peanut butter, but that's just silly.  ahahahahah Also chocolate chopped up and added to the batter is delicious.

I'm going to try out my lemon slice soon and I'll report in. It was a hit at home, so let's see if the toaster oven can handle it.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
Peanut butter cookies for the ingredient challenged...
CAUTION: May contain traces of nuts!