Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1155 on: October 16, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
Yep, me too, usually in some shitty suburban area of Essex like Brentwood...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #1156 on: October 16, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »
I started with the US version for other reasons, but decided last night to try the UK version.  I shall endeavor to like it.  I can see immediately that the UK version is sharper.  Also, just like the US version, the first ep is more irritating than enjoyable.

And then I discovered I can't watch them simultaneously!  Just can't.  Michael Scott is irritating again once I've seen the UK version.  So I'll stick with David Brent for a few more episodes and see what happens.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1157 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:17 AM »
The UK one is a very subtle observational kind of humour, it's very 'real'... some people hate it
It is too early to say.

« Reply #1158 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »
I really Liked Reign On Me with Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler... until the DVD buggered up 2/3rds of the way through.

I was undecided about Shanghai Baby... until it buggered up 2/3rds of the way through.

Starship Troopers 3 was awful.  It, of course, played the whole way through.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1159 on: October 22, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
Lately I have watched

Surrogates - Quite good
I love you Beth Cooper - Some parts funny
The Thaw - Just another crappy Val Kilmer Movie
The Orphan - So Scary I will never adopt a child
The taking of Pelham 123 - Very good movie

I have started watching a series called Flashforward.  The new series of heroes and Dexter are good as always.  I have also started watching Californication again.

I dont work much

« Reply #1160 on: October 26, 2009, 04:13:27 AM »
Venus.  Billed as perhaps Peter O'Toole's last movie.

SEE THIS!  An utterly lovely little film.

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1161 on: October 27, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
Wallace and Gromit.  Lovely animations, good visual and verbal humour, lots of allusions, lots of cultural stuff.

I have a student staying with me for the moment and have introduced him to this classic British comedy.  He LOVES it.  It's fun having others enjoy the things you enjoy.

In this way I've introduced (and enjoyed re-visiting) The Gruen Transfer, (great for analysis), Monty Python (which led to a total John Cleese fan developing! bfbfbfbfbf), Hustle, Spooks, John Safran Vs God and all of the Studio Ghibli animations.  The students who come here have really liked these shows.

« Reply #1162 on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:21 AM »
Just finished season one of The Wire, courtesy youku.com  akakakakak  This show is ruining my life: it's 5 in the morning!

englishmoose.com

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #1163 on: October 29, 2009, 12:58:35 PM »
The Wire looked very suspenseful, but the commercials made it look too bloody. Was it pretty violent?

« Reply #1164 on: October 31, 2009, 12:47:43 AM »
Nah, it's more dickensian/shakespearian for the most part, like a play played out on telly
It is too early to say.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1165 on: October 31, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »
everyone should watch the new south park. or at least the first 5 minutes or so

i nearly fell off my chair ahahahahah

« Reply #1166 on: October 31, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »
The Wire, season 2, is even better.  On to season 3- and it's 2 in the morning!  bibibibibi

englishmoose.com

« Reply #1167 on: October 31, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
Just saw "This is it" Michael Jackson's last movie. I really enjoyed it. The dancing was great as was the singing. I must admit to wanting to get up and dance in the aisle, but no one else was making a sound, so thought I'd get thrown out. (can you see the headlines? "old Granny thrown out of theatre for unruly behaviour" ahahahahah ahahahahah I did a fair bit of dancing in my seat though. Going to see Heath Ledger's last film today, "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"

« Reply #1168 on: October 31, 2009, 09:07:06 PM »
If you want to watch the most ridiculous film ever, watch Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus.  I suspect it will become quintessential 'so bad it's good' student fare in the coming years.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #1169 on: November 02, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Aussie mate brought me a DVD with 2 Barry Humphries movies "The Great McCarthy' and 'Barry McKenzie Holds His Own'.  How do you think the students will cope with Dame Edna??

Also brought me "Real Aussies' - a 2 CD of Oz music - Men at Work, Died Pretty, Skunkhour, Mi-sex, Margaret Urlich etc.  Cool!!