Guns

• 270 replies

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
Texas Justice
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
Forget the source, read and watch the news story. Here is some justice, handed out Texas style.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/05/armed-husband-dishes-out-lethal-dose-of-texas-justice-after-suspects-kidnap-him-and-his-wife-then-force-them-to-rob-bank/

Two guys break into a house in the small Texas town of Columbus, tie up the husband and when the wife, a bank teller, returns home, the men at gunpoint force her to drive back to the bank after hours, open the vault and remove cash.  They then direct them to drive out to a deserted section of highway.  The husband, a reserve sheriff's deputy with a gun hidden in the car, secretly retrieves it and shoots both suspects, killing one.  The town is rallying around the couple, saying it is nice for the "good guys" to win one. 

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Guns
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
A couple of the commenters on the article point out that he forgot Zombieland Rule #2 . . .

Double Tap
 bababababa
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2013, 04:46:31 AM »
I've heard of justifiable homicide. Do they have a category for commendable homicide?

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
I've heard of justifiable homicide. Do they have a category for commendable homicide?

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!! agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag agagagagag
EscapedLunatic.com

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Property crime is one thing, but when you get into kidnapping you're taking someone's life in your hands. If you're doing a life or death crime and your victim kills you, that's justice.

« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
I couldn't agree more Guangzhou Writer! bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:03 AM »
I wish they'd kill this thread  bibibibibi
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
There was something on the news last night about the "Bikies" and the way they are bringing weapons into Australia. The Law Enforcement spokesperson made an interesting comment. In effect he said that the "victims" of a lot of these recent shooting crimes are actually criminals themselves who just didn't happen to get the shot off before the killer. He didn't think that these people were victims in the same sense as ordinary members of the public, and as such, the same laws should not apply to them or their family members who try to sue and manipulate the law to their advantage. I know that this will probably open "Pandora's box", but I am more than inclined to agree. bfbfbfbfbf  We now have such tough Gun Laws in Australia, that criminals appear to be gaining the advantage. bibibibibi

gonzo

« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
I started this thread 15 or so weeks ago-by far the most responses I've ever scored; way in front of stuff about teaching and living in China that I've put up, which is interesting.

This time a young Australian on a baseball scholarship was gunned down while on a daytime jog in Oklahoma. Maybe it hasn't made the US news sites: too common. What is wrong with that fucking country?
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
The exact same thing that's wrong with every country where innocent people can be killed by some disaffected person using guns, knives, or any other weapon.

Stop focusing on one kind of weapon and read the news more broadly.  School massacres happen without guns.  Dead joggers happen without guns.  I heard anti-knife public service announcements on the radio in the UK the year before I came to China.  From the tone of the announcements, you would have thought they were talking about grenade launchers.

I believe the source of the real problem is 2-fold.  First, the sense of personal responsibility seems to be waning faster and faster in many supposedly developed countries.  Second, the concept of "mainstreaming" the mentally ill allows those who really need treatment (or possibly involuntary committal) to slip under the radar, often never even getting a formal diagnosis of mental illness until they are working with a defense attorney.
EscapedLunatic.com

CWL

« Reply #250 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:33 AM »
The exact same thing that's wrong with every country where innocent people can be killed by some disaffected person using guns, knives, or any other weapon.

Stop focusing on one kind of weapon and read the news more broadly.  School massacres happen without guns.  Dead joggers happen without guns.  I heard anti-knife public service announcements on the radio in the UK the year before I came to China.  From the tone of the announcements, you would have thought they were talking about grenade launchers.

I believe the source of the real problem is 2-fold.  First, the sense of personal responsibility seems to be waning faster and faster in many supposedly developed countries.  Second, the concept of "mainstreaming" the mentally ill allows those who really need treatment (or possibly involuntary committal) to slip under the radar, often never even getting a formal diagnosis of mental illness until they are working with a defense attorney.

Hear, hear!

Unfortunately taxpayers will now be on the hook to pay for the incarceration of the "alleged" killers.  That is unless some libtard lawyer comes along and talks about how they weren't breastfed as babies, or Father Bob yanked their wee wee when they were little, or that son of bitch Bush ruined their lives... blah, blah, blah....  Unfortunately three of the millions of rounds of ammo acquired by the DHS will not be used to settle the matter.  Oh no...they're saving those for the further intimidation of the law abiding citizenry.  After all, the government needs protection from the legal gun owners.  The present government needs to be tossed away, and with it the current hack president.

A-Train

« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2013, 04:27:10 AM »

Stop focusing on one kind of weapon and read the news more broadly. 

I agree there is a broader problem, but the availability of guns in the U.S. leverages that problems to heights not seen anywhere else in the First world.

Since 1968, more Americans have been killed by guns than in all of its wars combined.  1.4 million citizens killed.  And yes, a crazed lunatic will kill someone with a knife, but the increase in numbers killed from guns leverages the underlying problem.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #252 on: August 20, 2013, 05:27:20 AM »

I agree there is a broader problem, but the availability of guns in the U.S. leverages that problems to heights not seen anywhere else in the First world.

Since 1968, more Americans have been killed by guns than in all of its wars combined.  1.4 million citizens killed.  And yes, a crazed lunatic will kill someone with a knife, but the increase in numbers killed from guns leverages the underlying problem.

Uhmm...isn't this thread somewhat going in circles? Everything there is to say about guns, guns in America, guns in the world, the violence perpetrated using guns, has been said. Come on guys, you have all pointed out how bad things can be done with guns, posters have with great gusto jumped into the "I can find an example of a gun-related crime in America too!" game, with a side-order of "Those Americans are just all too fond of firearms and we should point this out as much as possible" soap-box oratory. The problem has been laid bare, examples have been given, so now it is time to dwell upon the logical, rational solution to the problem. There is really no obvious point in commenting over and over and over again on something one is upset about/disagrees with/believes should be changed if one does not provide a doable, viable, usable hypothesis for a solution.
But to prove I understand the point of the thread, let me say: Guns are bad. Boo! Boo to guns.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2013, 06:41:01 AM »
Guns are fine.... cool even.

Now bullets are a different matter. Evil little things.

A-Train

« Reply #254 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »

...it is time to dwell upon the logical, rational solution to the problem. There is really no obvious point in commenting over and over and over again on something one is upset about/disagrees with/believes should be changed if one does not provide a doable, viable, usable hypothesis for a solution.

But that's precisely the problem. Reasonable, logical solutions are always assassinated by the crazed rhetoric.

A few reasonable solutions: background checks on all who wish to own a gun, registration and required proof of ability to handle a gun, shared data bases of crimes perpetrated by gun owners.

Yet, any politician who tried to institute these would get politically crucified. I'm afraid that soap-box oratory is part of the DNA on this issue and ignoring that fact leaves only white-paper essays that make perfect sense but are irrelevant to any effort at change.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck