What's in the News

• 2873 replies

AMonk

Re: What's in the News
« Reply #420 on: April 03, 2008, 06:16:11 AM »
BBC's World News reports that Robert Mugabe is going down....28 years of power corruption controlling Zimbabwe may be/are over.  The only question is whether or not he will actually go llllllllll

His political Party now holds 93 Seats compared to 105 for Opposition candidates.  The results from the Presidential election are still not yet in and finalised (after 4 days!!), but indications are that he only held 43% of the vote, compared to his challenger who has 51%.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »
Charlton Heston is dead.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2008, 12:33:43 AM »
 aoaoaoaoao

One of my favourite lines ever:

"IT'S A MADHOUSE! A MADHOUSE!"
It is too early to say.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:11 AM »
Fair play impossible, says Adidas workers
Claire Newell and Michael Sheridan, Fuzhou | March 31, 2008

THE German sportswear giant Adidas ...

But for the thousands of Chinese workers who earn a basic $25 a week making Adidas's expensive trainer shoes at factories in the industrial city of Fuzhou, ...

The Sunday Times found a history of industrial disputes at three of what Adidas calls "long-established partner factories" in Fuzhou, owned and operated by a Taiwan-based company.
I lived in Fuzhou and knowa little about those factories. Pay is low, but I knew waitresses in Fuzhou making 450 for really long hours.

The Taiwan company does not just manufacture for Adidas; they also do Reebok and a Japanese brand I don't recall. Nike are down the road and conitions there are no better.

The Chinese friend I had who worked there was doing alright, She was a healh and safety manager making 4000 or so. From what she said, management did at least take that seriously. She was sent to Vietnam to help set up a factory there.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #424 on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
One of our teaching assistant's was just brought up to minimum wage, because the gate caretaker found out she was only making 400Y a month. New TAs must work this ridiculously low wage for a significant period of time; she's been a TA well over a year. asasasasas asasasasas Hopefully a precedent has been set and the entry salary will now be minimum wage.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #425 on: April 07, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
Kcanuck, that's utterly disgusting.  She should get retroactive pay, but we all know she won't.

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #426 on: April 08, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7334233.stm
\
NZ man 'used hedgehog as weapon' 
A man in New Zealand has been charged with using a hedgehog as a weapon, the New Zealand Herald has reported.

Police said William Singalargh, 27, had hurled the hedgehog about 5m (16ft) at a 15-year-old boy.

"It hit the victim in the leg, causing a large, red welt and several puncture marks," said Senior Sgt Bruce Jenkins, in the North Island town of Whakatane.

It was unclear whether the hedgehog was still alive when it was thrown, though it was dead when collected as evidence.

The police spokesman said the suspect was arrested "for assault with a weapon, namely the hedgehog."

Mr Singalargh is due to appear in court on 17 April. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison.

What with wombats and now hedgehogs, you lot have been coming up with some wacky stories of late!
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
It's those dodgy Kiwis! 

A little outpost in the middle of the ocean - cabin fever strikes regularly.

« Reply #428 on: April 08, 2008, 03:37:49 PM »
Gotta say, sounds like their legal system is still much tougher than ours.  He probably wouldn't get any time in prison for throwing a hedgehog in the UK.

It's like China's at one, ridiculous extreme, and the UK is at the other.  asasasasas
It is too early to say.

« Reply #429 on: April 11, 2008, 02:15:24 AM »
According to a recent article, massage girls in the east-Java province of Indonesia are now being forced to wear chastity belts so they stick to just massages and no naughty stuff. Forced chastity belts...wonder if that would work in China.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2008, 02:25:46 AM »
I reckon a lot of Chinese guys would jump at the chance to buy them... for their wives.

Can't see it happening any other way.
You have to care for it to matter.
http://www.haerbinger.com - All About Harbin

« Reply #431 on: April 11, 2008, 03:34:56 AM »
And so it continues

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSHKG8120420080410

China says foils "terrorist" plot to kidnap Olympians
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

AMonk

« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2008, 05:09:46 AM »
Fusses in France, bothers in Britain and fancy side-stepping in 'Frisco.....what's next?

Sarkozy will miss The Opening gala.  GeeDubYah is considering a similar move.
Moderation....in most things...

Fugu

« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »
Fusses in France, bothers in Britain and fancy side-stepping in 'Frisco.....what's next?

Sarkozy will miss The Opening gala.  GeeDubYah is considering a similar move.

Fugu has announced, that due to scheduling conflicts, he will be unable to attend any Olympic event or partake in any flag waving.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/11/olympicgames2008.china
Quote from the Guardian:

"The United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, will not be attending August's opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics. Although the reason for his absence was cited as "scheduling issues"."

and

" The British prime minister, Gordon Brown, and the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, have both announced they will not be attending the opening ceremony."

Finally

"Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd had already said that Australia, not China, would be responsible for security of the flame."  bfbfbfbfbf

Everytime I see those 'guardians of the sacred flame' on CCTV9, it reminds me of Homer opening his door for 'hired goons' and copping a hiding for it.

Go Kev! liked what he said at Beida, shame the locals won't hear about it.

Edit: I can't see any 'key words' that would cause problems with your server. I'm also under the impression that the lads in Beijing are easing up a tad on net access. If there are problems, feel free to delete the post. 
agagagagag 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:05:05 PM by Fugu »
“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society,” Twain.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »
Canada's PM also not attending (for personal reasons) though he is sending a delegation
I am still learning. Michelangelo