Agile's Internstional English-- Asians Need Not apply-- (Caucasians ONLY)

• 10 replies

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China

An African-American friend who is an English teacher in Yanji sent this to us. I read a post a couple of weeks ago that mentioned the refusal of a school to hire American Born Chinese English teachers.  These was some discusion about it but it but this school seems to take it one step further.

Contact E-mail:agilesintenglish@gmail.com

About Employer:
Employer Name: Agile`s International English
Agility International English (AIE) was founded by several foreign teachers, mainly targeted to improve our speaking and listening, for the majority of students to provide a parity of all foreign teachers of English learning environment. Our teachers have many years experience of foreign teachers, pure English pronunciation;AIE of small class teaching in English (4-6 people); personalized curriculum; periodic extra-curricular teaching activities, pure English environment, the whole atmosphere of the teaching of English will provide you with a new English new world!

In order to achieve the maximum of our students to learn English, we offer a complete oral English teaching methods. Generally break the tradition of Chinese students learning English, we has a new teaching methods of spoken in English. In order to make learning more meaningful, we adopted a large number of classroom activities, as Chinese students and foreign communication.

Work Location:
XiaMen city wenzao、quanpu、huli ect;QuanZhou city;SanMing city

Job Description:
We are a local venture offering language services in Xiamen.
We are looking for young and dynamic people with sense of responsibility and great seriousness for weekend part/full-time teaching positions.

Our requirements:
1)Native English speakers who are of Asian descent or candidates with Asian looks will NOT be considered.Native English speakers (Caucasians ONLY) from the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand and Canada need apply Non-native speakers might be considered if they have previous ELT experience and have a clear pronunciation.
2)Great sense of responsibility, enthusiasm and reliability. We need people who like what they do, and -why not? - even have fun.
3)TESOL or TEFL certificates, Foreign Expert Certificate already awarded or pending, are a valued bonus.
4)People with previous teaching experience will be primarily considered.
If you think you have what it takes, then send your CV with photo and contact details and we’ll reply ASAP!

Job Description:
Salary: 5000-10000RMB OR Higher
Qualification: Bachelors Degree and TESOL or TEFL
Age Requirement: 20-55
Experience required: Have over one years teaching experience
Workload: 40-80 hours/ month
The school will process and help to pay for working visa.

Agile's International English
地址:厦门市文屏路14号文屏大厦26C
Address: 26-C,wenping Mansion,wenping Rd14,Xiamen Fujian China
QQ:113553080
Phone Jenny: 13599517942 0592-6089899

BrandeX

Pretty standard. "Whites only" is the norm for most school hiring practices, although it is usually left unprinted.

George

• My view of China
we has a new teaching methods of spoken in English.
'nuff said, I would think!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
we has a new teaching methods of spoken in English.
'nuff said, I would think!

Maybe they're teaching Ebonics.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Agile's Internstional English-- Asians Need Not apply-- (Caucasians ONLY)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
Pretty standard. "Whites only" is the norm for most school hiring practices, although it is usually left unprinted.

Sad, but very true. Racism is rampant in much of Asia, and China is no exception.
Even non-Caucasians born and raised in a Big Six English-speaking country (USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand) are often not really trusted as "native speakers", and can face discrimination in employment and other aspects of daily life...to a much greater extent than you probably find back home. Indeed, a white person from, say, Germany can often have an easier time finding good work teaching English than, say, a black or Asian person from the USA. bibibibibi

Does this mean that non-whites shouldn't come work in China? Absolutely not!  A lot of people who do not happen to be white CAN and DO have successful experiences, even multi-year careers in China.
But it DOES mean it may take you more time and effort than your Caucasian colleagues need. Be prepared for it.

There ARE pockets of enlightenment out there, and they are growing. But like all changes in China, it's going to take a long time to really get better.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Monkey King

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Well, on the other hand, I just got a job ad in my inbox which states specifically that the school (it's an English training school)  wants  'female teachers from the Philippines'.

Although Filipino teachers in China usually have actual teaching quals and experience, and a renowned work ethic (unlike, say, your average transient Western EFL-er), I have to wonder if the fact that the school can pay less and possibly squeeze more work out of them are the more sinister real motivations here.

Certainly, the pay for this job was very low for a training school in a major Chinese city.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:14:20 AM by MK »

BrandeX

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:57:23 AM »
absolutely. I have seen ads for "Africans Only" as well on occasion. It almost certainly means they are looking to pay low wages. (surely illegal employer)

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi,

I had to make this my first post,

I work for this school (5 minutes from my apartment !!!)

Anyone like to guess the ethnicity of my colleague who has been there for one year  ahahahahah

The boss is actually great - she used to be a journalist, I guess that's where she learnt how to cut and paste  bfbfbfbfbf

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
I read somewhere that some schools are starting to prefer Phillipine and Indian teachers over white ones because they tend to work harder for less money than white people

I haven't experienced that personally but it does make sense, especially for the teaching kids jobs which tend to depend on college graduates who are often 'on holiday...'

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
absolutely. I have seen ads for "Africans Only" as well on occasion. It almost certainly means they are looking to pay low wages. (surely illegal employer)
I don't know if it means looking to pay low wages. There are plenty of non-Africans who are willing to work for peanuts. The cost of telling a white job seeker the wages are low is marginal. And knowing what we know about how bad the English of some ESL staff is and how racist Chinese can be, I would not be amazed to find they had really meant to say "No Africans need Apply".
RMB300/hour is the new RMB150/hour. Pass it on!

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »
I read somewhere that some schools are starting to prefer Phillipine and Indian teachers over white ones because they tend to work harder for less money than white people
Wasn't that the rationale that spawned indentured labor? Witness Hong Kong and the UAE as examples.

But to stay on topic, given that many of these people are native English speakers [ie, they were raised bilingually, with English as their formal language at home and at school], and they are qualified, as well as the afore-mentioned work ethic, I'm not surprised.

At my Shanghai university 7 years back, I was entrusted with FT recruiting, and employed an Indian woman who had impeccable English, and was tertiary educated in the US. After initial racially based student misgivings, she became hugely popular and well accepted. When she wasn't offered a contract renewal, her students got together a petition, and a delegation fronted the admin. They were successful. Now there's something you don't see every day, especially in China.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.