Anshan University of Science and Technology Liaoning

• 8 replies
Anshan University of Science and Technology Liaoning
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
I'm all set to work for these guys from March till July  (barring some extra negative info) and have emailed a teacher there a few times who said things are generally ok.
It's the best I can find at 4500 for 16 periods a week with half airfare and half travel allowance cos i'm only doing 1 semester. Z visa invitation letter is in the post apparently. The recruiter has been quite good thus far.
I will post a review of the Uni and recruiter once i've done it.
If anyone out there knows more about this place than me, tell me now. cheers.

Re: Anshan University of Science and Technology Liaoning
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
Though I know nothing of this school, I would like to say good luck and let us know how things work out. Hopefully someone will pipe in with something more constructive
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
Don't know the school, but know the city and like it. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

tuvia

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:37:32 AM »
raoul, what is it that you like about anshan?  considered an offer there awhile back, but never went down there to check out the city.  i am hoping to end up in a smallish city with few foreigners at some point.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »
After 4 months at this Uni, I'm glad to be leaving. Heres my positive and negative spin on whats good and whats not about this institution:
Positive:
I got all my salary, airfare, travel allowance money. Although I was made to pay for my "F" visa extension, when my "Z" expired on June 30. I could do as i like for my 16 teaching periods per week. Accomodation is good, even though the floor flooded a few times with very smelly water. They fixed this promptly. Students are happy campers and overall I liked the job a lot.
Negative:
There's 2 native english speaking teachers and 1 Chinese FAO (and her assuming assistant) that make the atmosphere here somewhat daunting IMO. 1 teacher is a complete alcoholic nutcase, and another is a shill although very helpful. The FAO was stressed out and unapproachable at times. The other native english teacher here is nice.
Maybe I'm still naive or just being from down-under means I'm too friendly and relaxed, while most people here seem to take things way too seriously and drink far too much to block it all out. I would not come back here knowing what I know now, as I'm a social animal and enjoy the company of relaxed, friendly people.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:30:37 AM by milkweed »

tuvia

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »
thanks for coming back to post your experiences milkweed/ considered going there myself at one point.  sounds like an average uni job experience, though they couldve given you more leeway on when your z visa expired.  how was the location of the uni in regards to its distance from the city 'center'?  and how was the city itself?

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:52:19 AM »
Well the Uni is about 6 to 8ks from the railway station/city centre. I walked it several times in around 1 hour 40 mins. The city itself is ok in that there are a couple of good disco's, loads of KFC's and good regular connections to both Shenyang and Dalian on trains and buses. The steelmill here makes the air have a pungent odour, but as the Uni is over the hill on the other side, we get far less of it than the city itself does. The city really is pretty dirty with loads of construction going on and compared with Dalian, its not very good. There are some nice parks and I could live here again quite easily. Naff all foreigners here which is sad cos the quality of them that are here could be much better.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
And now I "have to pay" for a couple of nights in a hotel before my flight out of here due to many new arrivals (students and teachers) coming here shortly and shifting in to the apartments provided on campus. When their "use" for you is finished, the Chinese just discard you. This University is just "a business" and not much more I suspect.

Mimi

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »
Eh, my last school tried to force me out early, too.  I had asked about a million times if I could stay until my contract was officially up, as my mother was coming to visit from America and I needed to know where we were staying.  When they tried to get me to leave in the middle of her visit because a teacher was showing up early (though, I suspect he was showing up very much on time), it really soured the whole relationship.

I didn't leave.  There was nothing polite or comfortable about it, but what could I do?

Sorry it worked out for you the same way.