any general opinions, high middle school, Xiaogan, Hubei?

• 1 replies

harry_aus

• "woof!"
any general opinions, high middle school, Xiaogan, Hubei?
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has been to Wuhan?
This school I'm talking to is just outside there, Xiaogan.
Haven't got to the contract stage yet. An Aussie guy who I used to
work with in Wuxi put me in touch with a Chinese English teacher at this school,
and she's been chatting to me over the last couple of nights.
Tonight she told me that they have 4000 students there, with class-sizes between
60-75....! Yeah, ok, my experience has been,(apart from a TC with very small
numbers per class) - a public college in Anhui -
45 per class; a primary school in Jiangsu - 40 small kids per class.
These were manageable, but 75 high-schoolers, sounds a little daunting.
(Well, of course I know I'd be just the dancing monkey, with this lady TA in attendance, and I'm happy to be that).
  This lady-teacher wants me to live in the apartment next to hers. She is,
like me, a divorcee. Said she'd be happy to do the cooking. All well and good, however
I don't know if being her new (and compliant!) boyfriend would be outweighed by the nitty-gritty of me struggling in an overcrowded school, a bit off the beaten track.

If anyone has spent time in that locale, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts, please?

mae

Re: any general opinions, high middle school, Xiaogan, Hubei?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
If you are near to Wuhan at least there is some civilization you can escape to.  bfbfbfbfbf
I spent a month in a middle school with classes of 60-75, my first teaching experience. I was way out in the sticks, most of the students were residents and there were bout 2,000. I taught seniors 1 and 2 which was, ahem, challenging. The local town was about 3-4 streets worth with holes in the roads, pigs and chickens. The people were friendly and my assistant took me to the nearby city on occasion. The only white blonde and I stood out like a sore thumb. I was being kept a virtual recluse for reasons which I may post later.
I visited Wuhan for a few days and I liked the feel of the place very much.
I think it is better that you are in a bigger school and have someone to help but I would think twice about encouraging any relationship but you probably already know that.
As for keeping the students interested while learning there are plenty more experienced Saloonies who can advise on that.   bjbjbjbjbj