Jimei University anyone? The good: it's in Xiamen. The bad....?

• 2 replies
The employer's notice is here: http://english.jmu.edu.cn/s/46/t/56/p/1/c/467/list.htm

Jimei U. (at the time it replied to me) still needs teachers for its non-English majors, i.e., students not majoring in English. Off-hand, I'm wary because I'm weary of the non'ers I'm teaching now. (No offence. I'd probably act the same way in their shoes... their well-heeled middle class shoes.)

So, has anyone experience with JMU, and, especially, through this contact, Mr/Ms Huangmin? I know it's a BIG U with lots of colleges under its name, but this is the only direct contact that I found (in English).

MORE GENERALLY, please tell me if my experience is not the norm: it has been my experience so far that most of the schools to which I send an inquiry (to a given contact if I find one, to someone in, say, the English or Foreign Language dept. if I don't) don't reply, as in nada. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong...like not including a red envelope? _/\(*_*)/\_

Thanks for any & all help.
Ref
"We have met the enema and ...."

Re: Jimei University anyone? The good: it's in Xiamen. The bad....?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
MORE GENERALLY, please tell me if my experience is not the norm: it has been my experience so far that most of the schools to which I send an inquiry (to a given contact if I find one, to someone in, say, the English or Foreign Language dept. if I don't) don't reply, as in nada. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong...like not including a red envelope? _/\(*_*)/\_

You sending to official email addresses?  'Cos most universities don't use those.  You are probably better phoning up if a mobile number of any kind is listed.  You probably want to look on the Chinese language website (Google translate is your friend) for more up to date details.

Sadly, a whole bunch of unis are using agents more and more now because they are lazy and don't want to bear the responsibility of hiring their own staff.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
Re: Jimei University anyone? The good: it's in Xiamen. The bad....?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:43:33 AM »
Is this article helpful?
http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Jimei

I knew someone who taught English there in about 2005 and she loved the place. I have no info beyond that and am no longer in touch with her.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?