HKU SPACE Suzhou

• 1 replies
HKU SPACE Suzhou
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:23:22 PM »
Anyone had the experience of working there, or has anyone else been offered a job there?

I've been offered a huge amount of money, but am worried that we may have to clock in and stay at our desks 9-5 every day.  According to one person I talked to in the second phone interview, we may not even be able to leave early to go to the school library without permission!  That sounds really unreal! 

Also, how are the students?  Are they just wealthy kids who are going there because they can't get in anywhere else?  Attitudes?

I want to see the campus, but sent them an e-mail about directions yesterday and they haven't replied yet.  I know it's outside of the city, which is okay, but if the area is rough or unsafe (for example, I knew someone who taught in an industrial park, which at night was full of groups of young men roving around) that would be no good.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: HKU SPACE Suzhou
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:10:28 AM »
If it's the place I'm pretty sure it is, it's WAAAAAAAY out there, man. All trips into town would have to be arranged; virtual zero chance of finding a taxi.
You'd likely be able to commute to Shanghai faster and cheaper than get in and out of the education park...thing  they've constructed out on the "Here Bee Monsters" edge of Suzhou city.

but am worried that we may have to clock in and stay at our desks 9-5 every day.  According to one person I talked to in the second phone interview, we may not even be able to leave early to go to the school library without permission!
I get reeeal nervous when I hear things like this. But that's just me, man...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)